Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Communication between BS and a computer — Parallax Forums

Communication between BS and a computer

HoffaHoffa Posts: 46
edited 2006-10-30 17:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

Are there a good way to make a wireless communication between BS and a computer. I want to build a map for my boe-bot and to make the map good it takes a lot of both computation and space, so I have to do it on a PC. What I want is something lika a radiocommunicationkit between the BS and the PC. Are there som good ones which doesn't cost to much?

Comments

• Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-10-29 14:20
    Hoffa--

Although I am a newbie to modern robotics, I have done a lot of research on this very topic·. . . to no avail, as far as I am concerned. What I really wanted was a WiFi Ethernet module. As far as I can tell, one does not exist.

However, Elexol does have a neat Ether I/O 24 module offered by Hobby Engineering. The module has 24 I/O pins. However, to use it the way I want to, you would have to lug around a WiFi access point on your robot. I have written Elexol about this. They actually wrote back and said it was a good idea (duh) and they were thinking about it (sure).

I will watch this thread to see if anyone comes up with a good solution for you because it sounds just like what I want to do.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-10-29 14:33
    Radio Communications between a Basic Stamp and your PC is very easy (and fairly inexpensive)... check out http://www.rentron.com/Stamp_RF.htm

It does require two BS Stamps, but it is very easy to do via the SEROUT and SERIN commands.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-10-29 16:14
    I distribute wilress units where the PC side can use a USB adapter the Boe-Bot can use one of 2 boards. They use a very high level IEEE protocol (like, but not, WiFi) to ensure data delivery and error checking.
    http://www.selmaware.com/appbee

Parallax also sells 433Mhz and Bluetooth transcievers.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • HoffaHoffa Posts: 46
    edited 2006-10-30 14:46
    I like the Idea with the RWS-434:s. It looks like a pretty good and (very) cheap solution. I haven't used an BS1 before. Are there a good and easy way to communicate through the COM-port. What is the code to do that?
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-10-30 17:05
    you can use a BS1 or BS2 on the transmitter side (the code is provided in the write up... the basic set up is:

PC -->BS1-->Transmitter Receiver--->BS2