Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FTDI Vinculum (usb host controller) — Parallax Forums

FTDI Vinculum (usb host controller)

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2006-10-30 19:17 in Propeller 1
I'm not sure I get the name but these look seriously interesting.

www.vinculum.com/prd_vnc1l.html

They have some really neat little modules too.

Graham

p.s. I looked up the name:

A vinculum (pl. vincula) is a bond or tie

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-28 23:51
    Yes, these look very nice. Currently, they support only one "thumb drive" and an FTDI USB-serial interface. I'm hoping they add support for HID class devices like keyboards and mice.
  • Cliff L. BiffleCliff L. Biffle Posts: 206
    edited 2006-10-28 23:54
    Neat!

I do wish they wouldn't slap USB 2.0 on 12mbps devices like this. "USB2.0 Full Speed" is such a horrible misnomer.

I can already think of creative uses for this, particularly since they have a Stamp-like DIP carrier board available.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-10-29 01:26
    Mike, I hope its just a matter of time, its just a matter of the firmware and it will pay them to have that sort of thing available.

I think I'll get the thumbdrive module to use for my data recording stuff instead of using an SD once its available, its super neat and should panel mount well.

Graham
    edited 2006-10-29 01:35
    I just ordered two (of the DIP modules). It's not clear whether they come already loaded with firmware. There are some other modules on their website that are not yet available that do come pre-loaded. I assume the DIP module will work with the VDAP firmware for thumb-drive access.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2006-10-29 04:33
    WOW... I can use these...
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-10-29 20:22
    I asked FTDI and they say the Vdrive modules will be available in 3 weeks. The DIP ones are already available to buy of course.

Graham
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2006-10-30 01:21
    Sorry.
    But I can't completely understand what is this ??
    Is it posssible to read data from a USB disk, without taking care of the FAT file structure,
    with this processor ??
    Could be possible, use a "standar hard disk" with a USB interface to read it ??.
    If my choice is to connect a "USB disk" with mp3 files inside, to the mp3 board....I get the sound directly from it ???, in that case what about a display to get the mp3 full player work ?

Thanks and regards.
    Alberto.
    edited 2006-10-30 01:37
    The Vinculum devices, like those from GHI Electronics, provide a USB host interface and FAT file structure management. They can handle any USB Mass Storage device, not just thumbdrives. Vinculum is advertising one of their controllers combined with an MP3 decoder. This combination device is not yet available, but should be sometime soon (weeks probably). You should be able to combine this VMUSIC1 device with a Propeller Demo or Prototype Board, a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse or trackpad, and a TV to make a full MP3 player.
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2006-10-30 02:11
    Thanks so much Mike for your answer.
    Mike said...

They can handle any USB Mass Storage device,
    not just thumbdrives.
    So, you mean a USB hard disk is possible ? I name a USB Hard disk like, a standard hard disk, "external" with a USB adapter for PC.
    Mike said...
    ·You should be able to combine this VMUSIC1 device with a Propeller
    Demo or Prototype Board, a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse or trackpad, and a TV to make
    a full MP3 player.
    So, I could be able to combine too, a Vinculum modul with a Propeller, and some switchs (commands keys), and a LCD serial display, and a USB hard disk, to get a semi-portable mp3 player..??, the interface between the Vinculum and Propeller could be SPI, or Serial, or Paralel FIFO. Am I right ?
    Thanks again
    Alberto.
    edited 2006-10-30 02:16
    Correct.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-10-30 16:27
    Hi Mike,

How much did that puppy set you back if you don't mind me not registering at that other website.

There seemed to be different version or maybe configurations of the same.
    edited 2006-10-30 18:11
    bambino,
    The only one available right now for sale is the DIP development device. The others are due out soon. The VDIP1 was approximately $32 USD including shipping from Oregon (their US office).
    Mike
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-10-30 18:21
    Thanks Mike,

With the way zip and Flash technology is going there may be no need for a second propeller release, I just googled an 8 gig thumb drive! Wow.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-10-30 18:37
    What's a thumb drive?

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    edited 2006-10-30 18:55
    A thumb drive is a USB flash mass storage device packaged in a little stick or similar shape about the size of someone's thumb or a stick of gum. You can buy them now in sizes up to several GB and they're often set up to attach to a large keychain.

Mike
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-10-30 19:17
    Newzed,

Here's pics of a 128 MB version I got about a year ago for less than $20. Now can get 4 GB for under $100 on sale. Popped open the case; had to see what's all there. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    640 x 480 - 41K
    640 x 480 - 72K
    640 x 480 - 67K