Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bench Power Supply w/ HC4LED — Parallax Forums

Bench Power Supply w/ HC4LED

John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
edited 2006-10-29 15:28 in General Discussion
Hey all,

My goal (not a·contest project) is to build a nifty Bench Power Supply using an old Desktop PC power supply, an SX·and three of Bean's HC4LED displays (these are kool!) to show acutal 12vdc, 5vdc and amps.·

I think I understand the concept of how to measure the voltage but how do I measure the amps (say up to 5 amps) and supply that info to the SX so that it can update the digital displays and a send the status out a serial port?· I need something like a "shunt" but how do I get the info into the SX?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
John J. Couture

San Diego Miramar College

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-10-29 02:40
    John,
    There are dedicated current measurement chips. Or else you need a shunt, and an A to D converter.
    Here is a tutorial from Maxim http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/746/

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

"People who are willing to trade their freedom for·security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Post Edited (Bean (Hitt Consulting)) : 10/29/2006 2:45:15 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-10-29 09:16
    The SXes will make very nice A to D converters by just using a Virtual Peripherial. In fact, it takes a lot more code to handle an SPI or I2C A/D that has more that one A/D device on board.

The set up is similar to what is done on the Propeller, just a capacitor and a few resistors.

A dedicated current chip may get you into a similar tangle of code. It all depends on how 'programmible' the device is. I suspect you still need a shunt resistor either way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2006-10-29 15:28
    Hi Kramer;

Great to see you have embraced the Virtual A/D approach.

That said, the DS2760 chip used in the Parallax Thermocouple kit, has an internal 25 milliOhm current sense risisor as well as a 12 bit A/D

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)