Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Networking Stamps; Syntax & Ref Manual pp 428-429 — Parallax Forums

Networking Stamps; Syntax & Ref Manual pp 428-429

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-10-28 21:57 in BASIC Stamp
All--

I am reading about the SERIN and SEROUT commands. On pages 428 and 429 of the "BASIC STAMP Syntax and Reference MANUAL", there are two code listings. The first (on page 428 - 429) is written for the "Sender" and the second (pages 429 - 430) is written for the "Receiver." Both refer to "the circuit shown in the SERIN command description (page 410 and repeated on page 425).

The code fragment below comes from the "Sender" program on pages 428 - 429 . . .

SO··· PIN 1··· ' serial output
FC··· PIN 0··· ' flow control pin

The code fragment below comes from the "Receiver" program on pages 429 - 430 . . .

SI·· ·PIN 0··· ' serial input
FC·· ·PIN 1···' flow control pin

The circuit to which these code fragments refer (the one found on page 410 or 425) shows PIN 1 of the Receiver connected to PIN 1 of the Sender and PIN 0 of the Receiver connected to PIN 0 of the Sender.

To ME the circuit appears correct and the code fragments shown above are reversed as they indicate (to ME) that Sender SO (serial out) is connected to Receiver FC (flow control) and Sender FC (flow control) is connected to Receiver SI (serial in).

Have I provided enough information for you to explain where I am wrong or where there may be a mistake in "BASIC STAMP Syntax and Reference MANUAL?"

Thanks!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-10-28 18:24
    · The PBASIC on-line Help examples for SERIN and SEROUT use the instructions:·SEROUT 1\0... and SERIN 1\0...· So, in those, the data goes out on Pin1 of the Sender and the data goes in on Pin1 of the Receiver (similarly, the flow control goes from Pin0S to Pin0R.)·

· Don't forget those resistors, they're very important.

· [noparse][[/noparse]The diagrams and examples are at the bottom of the page for both those entries.]
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-28 21:03
    Bill,
    ·
    ·· You are correct; there is an error in the manual which should be corrected in the next revision.· In the meantime you can simple reverse the affected pins in the code.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-10-28 21:57
    Chris and PJ--

Got'cha. Both of you.

Thanks!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.