Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
24LC128 16KB eeprom question ------ how to write more than 2000 bytes with BS2 — Parallax Forums

24LC128 16KB eeprom question ------ how to write more than 2000 bytes with BS2

bytor95bytor95 Posts: 53
edited 2006-10-26 12:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have interfaced a 16KB 24LC128 eeprom to my BS2SX and couldn't be happier with the results! I stored 5762 bytes and now my program is so accurate I can't believe it!

The only question I have is on how to write more than 2000 bytes to the epprom in one shot using the BS2SX.

Because the BS2SX is split up into 8 x 2000 bytes, I cannot write all of my 5762 bytes that I need to store all in one shot. So I wind up writing 1800 bytes, changing things around, writing the next 1800 bytes, and then writing the remainder. Basically, the BS2SX's limitation is forcing me to do this (I think).

Does anyone know a way around this without me buying the more expensive BS2P chip?

Thank you in advance,

Engin

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-10-25 20:08
    The BS2SX has eight banks of 2k each.· Wite as much as you can, then say run 1, and continue to load the EEPROM from bank 1.· Read about the RUN command in the Help file.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
  • bytor95bytor95 Posts: 53
    edited 2006-10-25 20:21
    Sid,

Thanks for the reply. I had just tried exactly what you described and it did work but it was tedious since I had to create 4 different programs, split up my data 4 different ways and then run each program consecutively. I was hoping for a way that I could fit it all into one clean looking program.

Thanks,

Engin
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-25 21:05
    Engin,
    ·
    ·· The BS2sx cannot WRITE across its slots, however the BS2p series can.· It is possible to write a program which will write continuously across the slots without having to switch program slots.· I hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-25 22:14
    Engin -

Just for my own curiosity, what is all this copious amount of data you are storing, and why do you seem to need to "dump" it from banked Stamp memory, rather than writing it right to the EEPROM as you gather or produce it?

I feel like I'm wandering out here in the deep weeds, since Sid and Chris seem to understand exactly what you're doing, and why you're doing it the way that you are.

Thanks for the insight.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • bytor95bytor95 Posts: 53
    edited 2006-10-26 12:45
    Bruce,

I'm creating an astronomy/tide calculator. I am interfacing with the um-fpu coprocessor, a Matrix 4x20 LCD, the pocket watch b and the eeprom. I went down the route of calculating everything in real time but I realized that if I pre-crunch the numbers in excel, store them ahead of time, and then just look them up, I can get incredible accuracy for any astronomical occurence I can think of within this century and beyond. Gotta go. The moon is rising.

Thanks Sid and Chris for the replies.

Engin

smurf.gif