Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
micro-switch help — Parallax Forums

micro-switch help

ltmhallltmhall Posts: 102
edited 2006-10-26 18:07 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Could some one explain how a microswitch works for a collision detection circuit, and where I can buy one? I don’t want to use whiskers, and I’m not sure if I need to design some kind of skirt.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-25 12:15
    ltmhall -

There is really nothing special about microswitches, except for· two basic things. First they are generally very sensitive, and second they can be obtained with dozens and dozens of different actuators (levers, whishers, rollers, flexible protrusions, belows, cams, buttons, etc). Thus, if you purchased an ordinary microswitch with a LONG wire actuator, that actuator could be bent to make a whisker switch!

Consistant with almost all microswitches, they generally have three terminals: COMMON, NO, and NC. The NO is the normally open terminal, and the NC terminal is normally closed. Ususally these are momentary contacts which continue to "make" the circuit, so long as pressure is applied in the appropriuate direction. Once the pressure is removed, they generally return to the "other" position, or to a "center" (neutral or OFF) position.

Microswitches can alo be had with any or all of the following charactistics: single throw/double throw, multiple poles, maintained/momentary contacts, and various environmental characteristics (dustproof, weathertight, etc.).
    If you need more, just ask.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 10/25/2006 12:56:55 PM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-10-26 18:07
    Try www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com

There are other outlets that are more into industrial electrics, but I can only think of Granger.
    They supply farmers will all and everything electro-mechanical to keep their homesteads running.

There are supply house for machinist and such. Thompson's [noparse][[/noparse]or maybe Thomas's] Catalog of American Manufacturers will give you a huge list that includes distributors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan