Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
water proofing a "PING" for outside use — Parallax Forums

water proofing a "PING" for outside use

WaltMcWaltMc Posts: 5
edited 2006-10-26 00:46 in BASIC Stamp
· I'm wanting to use a "PING" ultrasonic sen. out in the elements @ my gate for a avoildence
· device( cows,trucks, cars,etc.) and I was looking @ water proofing the "PING".I have made a
· BS2 $stamp controler for the gate that sees limit sw/ and a low from a RF remote board that
· opens , stops , and closes the gate; I have left an I/O pin for the "PING" to use later.

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-10-25 12:35
    You could mount it up high aiming downward under some sort of rain shield, or if it has to face sideways put it inside a tube of some kind that extended out a·few inches·( though this would cut down on it's "field of view" a bit). I'm pretty sure whatever you do, you can't block the sound waves in anyway or it won't work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-25 12:59
    Gents -

Just remember, if you DO tilt the PING at an upward or downward angle, you will need to do a bit of trigonometry to correct the distance you obtain! Think about it.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 10/25/2006 1:26:18 PM GMT
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-10-25 14:00
    I am not sure, perhaps someone at Parallex can comment but here is a link to waterproof Ultrasonic Sensors

My thought is you could replace the existing sensors on the ping with these put it in a watertight box with holes to stick the sensors through that you could seal around the edges with silicon or a rubber boot , O-ring combination or various other ways.

Warning- I don't know if this can be done with the PING so better wait till a Parallex EE approves it.

http://www.futurlec.com/Ultrasonic_Sensors.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2006-10-25 16:27
    Gore company makes a goretex weatherproofing cover for microphones. I think it would probably work okay at 40 khz. Or even a thin saran wrap type of material. Ultrasound passes quite well through thin fabrics. However, there might be an issue with corrosion, as moisture can still pass through the membrane and condense on the surfaces. A fabric it would not be as good as the metal seal of the waterproof ultrasonics transducers, but it might be good enough to eliminate the more damaging ionic pollutants.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • DriesDries Posts: 23
    edited 2006-10-25 17:49
    As far as I can see the Ping sensor is equiped with a muRata ultrasonic transmitter (MA40R) and receiver (MA40S). This company also deliver watertight transdusers.
    Transmitter MA40E7R and receiver MA40E7R. Same size. Maybe you can directly replace the original receiver and transmitter for watertight versions.
    I have muRata datasheet atached. In Holland we can simply buy it at internet (Conrad electronics).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dries Nelemans
  • WaltMcWaltMc Posts: 5
    edited 2006-10-26 00:46
    ·· thank you Dries
    ·· I have seen these Ult-Sonic.devices before but tought nothing of them until now.; thank U for your time
    ·I'll look @ these forums a lot more in the future and add some input of my own