Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HELP! Dimming incandescents — Parallax Forums

HELP! Dimming incandescents

ErsatzzzErsatzzz Posts: 2
edited 2006-10-24 19:29 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,
I'm new to the Stamp module and I'm trying to find a way that I can program a flashlight battery to flicker in and out as well as dim in and out using the Stamp.· I can do the flickering in and out with the stamp, but I can't seem to dim the bulb unless it is a LED (which are too directional and not bright enough for my purposes).· I was also hoping to run the system off of a battery source-Does anyone know how I can dim incandescent bulbs electronically?· Or must I use a potentiometer?· If I use a potentiometer, how can I program it electroncially as opposed to a mechanical sequence?
Thanks!

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-10-24 19:12
    Will a DC bulb work differently than an AC bulb?

As far as using a POT, you can get digital pot IC's that will interface to a stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-10-24 19:22
    Ersatzz,

If the Stamp doesn't have too much other program to run, you can get a reasonable dimming effect with the PWM command. Use a potentiometer and the RCTIME command to get a setpoint, then use the PWM command to drive a transistor (either a FET or bipolar) which will control the lamp.

Cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-24 19:29
    Hello,

·· I covered doing this as well as posting some circuits in the following thread.· I hope this helps.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=593401

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support