Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USBto232 — Parallax Forums

USBto232

EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
edited 2006-10-24 00:16 in BASIC Stamp
Are schematics for the "Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter" available? I can't find them. Although, I do usually miss the most obvious things, hehe. Cant spend the $15+s/h on one right now and I dont like programming in the library because i get glares from people when I try do do anything invloving audio or those noisy servos.
Also, is there a cheaper way to use a bluetooth module out of an old phone instead of using the one by Parallax. I can provide the manufacturer and model # if needed, and I have a whole arsenal of electrical components. Sorry, i'm just tight for cash - college. Thanks in advance for any help. Off to wrestling practice....Check when i get back. Peace

Comments

• EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-23 19:31
    BTW: using BS2 w/ BOE (boe-bot full kit)
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2006-10-23 20:07
    The parallax serial converter uses a FTDI chip (the FT 232RL).· This chip is available from parallax for ~5 bucks and works quite well.

The manufacturer's poof of concept design is at: http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/Schematics/FT232R/UC232R%20Schematic.pdf·which looks simliar to the parallax product.

If you do decide to order something, I personally recommend USPS shipping since it is much cheaper for small items.

Harrison
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-23 20:53
    "The cheap man spends the most". MAYBE it is possible to reverse-engineer some solution out of an off-the-shelf unit. Being a very cheap person myself, I'm very aware of the drawbacks to such an approach.

The problem with such an approach is the off-the-shelf McGyver hack can take a LONG time to get working, may require MULTIPLE attempts to get right, may result in burning out two or three units to find what works, documentation for your particular unit may not be available, and nobody else (usually) has done your particular hack so you're on your own.

In comparison to the risks above, both cost and schedule, it's a bargain to buy an off-the-shelf solution for $20 or so that LOTS of people use, that Parallax will give you endless advise about, and that is well documented.

Also, there are LOTS of examples of people who've tried to "nickel and dime" a USB to Serial adapter WITHOUT success, and ultimately had to buy the Parallax unit anyway.

My point being -- there are times to try to save a dollar here or there, and times not to. The USB to Serial adapter is NOT the time to try to save "too much". Also, note that $15 plus S&H *IS* really cheap for this device -- other's have paid up to $50 for an equivalent device in the past.

If you're attending college, then I assume you're spending more than $1,000 per semester (possibly MUCH more) and about $100 per semester on books (maybe MUCH more).· Squeezing an additional $20 out of somewhere should be possible.· And believe me -- the cheapest way to get the functionality you are after with the USB to Serial adapter IS the Parallax unit.· All other approaches are going to be more expensive, some MUCH more expensive.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 10/23/2006 8:57:20 PM GMT
  • EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-24 00:16
    are there cheaper alternatives to the bluetooth module?