Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video options for Stamp? — Parallax Forums

Video options for Stamp?

DaveFDaveF Posts: 62
edited 2006-10-23 20:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all!
I am looking at output to a tv (composite)·for a project, and was wondering what options are out there other than the ones I know of:

EZvid
Hitt Consulting video

I need color, I would like it to be high resolution, fast processing, easy to use, etc.

The EZvid 2.0 is a close match, but I don't like the low resolution capability. (188x254)

Does anyone know of alternatives that can be used with the BS2 or other controllers?

Also, what about the propeller...· Does it have built in video out capabilities?· If so, what resolution is it?

Thanks!

Dave
·

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-10-22 23:06
    Does the Propeller have video out? * chuckles * yes, higher than you need and very simple to use. Down load the software installer for it and at least you can see the demos it comes with in various resolutions.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
  • DaveFDaveF Posts: 62
    edited 2006-10-22 23:52
    I am no expert at this. I downloaded it, and went over the manual, but did not see the resolution capabilities.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-10-22 23:56
    Don't expect to get high resolution out of TV thru a composite video connector. Using a 7-bit wide x 7-bit line font, the most you'll be able to display on a TV with composite video is about 40 characters across and 25 lines down. Even this number of characters will only be readable with certain foreground/background color combinations, such as a blue background and white characters. This is why the ezVid and Terry Hitt's video modules have these low resolution video specs - they were designed to work on low resolution TV.

HDTV is a different story - you'll easily be able to show 1280 x 720 thru a VGA/HDMI connector.
    edited 2006-10-23 00:15
    I wasn't thinking of HD or anything. I think basic broadcast quality tv is something like 640x480 or so... right?

I just want a clear image that is not pixelated.

Higher resolution = better antialiasing (reduction in jagged edges) right?

If there are no other options out there, then I will probably get the EZvid 2.0.· I just wanted to make sure I reviewed all options
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-10-23 00:42
    Since you brought up two character generators, I assume you want to display text on a TV. The visible resolution on a NTSC TV is somewhere around 320 x 200.
    See my previous message about the number of characters that can be displayed on TV. For reference, check out the video specs of this $700 NTSC character generator - 32 characters x 17 lines www.mastervideo.com/201mct3201.htm
    edited 2006-10-23 00:50
    actually, I am more interested in graphics. At first they will be simple, but I would like to evolve to some more advanced graphics and animations.

I think I can use the ezvid for the simple ones, but it would soon not be enough...
    edited 2006-10-23 00:51
    Propeller handles 320 x 200 for video out. If you chose to go VGA instead, it has higher resolutions. Sorry for the incomplete answer previously.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    AppBee -·2.4GHz Wireless Adapters & transceivers·for the BASIC Stamp & Other controllers·
    edited 2006-10-23 00:56
    Here's a geat example of propeller animation from a relative 'newbie' to programming.
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=148849

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    edited 2006-10-23 16:37
    WOW! That is great!

So you are saying that a newbie with some background like me could get up and running with the propeller pretty quickly? I saw that they recommend that you have experience before getting this chip.

Dave
    edited 2006-10-23 19:13
    The language is pretty simple, and there are object libraries to help you interface to complex devices.· For example, to display a count from 0 to 100 on the TV:
    CON
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000
    OBJ
      text : "tv_text"

PUB start | i
      repeat i from 0 to 100
        text.str(string(13,"The value is: ")) ' show text with a CR at front                
        text.dec(i)                          ' show value  *** corrected POST ***

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but not a big leap from the BASIC Stamp.· If you were planning on doing what you wanted with the Stamp, this is comperable in complexity.· With the demo board, there is built on hardware for a RCA jack to the TV, or there is an new board coming out around Christmas with holes for the RCA jack and a solder area for your own parts for under $20.

** corrected post **
    -Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel

Post Edited (Martin Hebel) : 10/23/2006 7:42:34 PM GMT
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-23 20:04
    Here's another good Propeller demo, from the Hydra video game system:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=573833