Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any interest in a Solarbotics Uber-Sumo Upgrade PCB? — Parallax Forums

Any interest in a Solarbotics Uber-Sumo Upgrade PCB?

ScottishCaptainScottishCaptain Posts: 10
edited 2006-10-22 03:29 in General Discussion
Greetings to all!

I'm looking into producing an add-on kit for the Solarbotics Sumo kits (http://www.solarbotics.com), if there's a demand for it.

It requires:
-Solarbotics Sumo Kit
-the Sumo Brainboard
-a Basic Stamp or Javelin uController
-HVW Stamp Stack II-SX Microcontroller (sits ontop of the Sumo Brainboard)

Both the Stamp Stack and Brainboard require slight modifications to the connectors so that they are all available when the unit's assembled (it can be done easily if you've already assembled the bot).

The core board itself bolts ontop of the secondary battery back on the front of the unit, but it's easy to remove if you need to change the batteries.

It provides:
-Mounting for a Matrix Orbital PLED Serial Module, 2x16 Characters (PK162-12)
-Mounting for a MAX Sonar Sensor (MaxSonar-EZ1)
-Socket for a Memsic Accelerometer
-4 Buttons for general use
-DB9 Port for easy programming of the BS/Javelin chip (the Stamp Stack has it's own DB9 socket)
-Easy, clean cabling for interfacing to these parts on the Sumo

Basically, the Stamp Stack manages all of these independently of the BS/Javelin running on the Brainboard. It provides easy access to the display, Memsic chip, buttons, and Ultrasonic sensor via a serial line to the BS/Javelin on the Brainboard. This is basically because the BS/Javelin chip on the Brainboard doesn't have any spare I/O pins except the ones remapped to serial communications- since the rest are all tied up with the robot motors and IR sensors.

Right now, my own Sumo is running around the house with the said prototype of the kit. It's more of a general-purpose hackable robot now- the Memsic accelerometer is designed to report impacts with objects in the 'bots path (complete with the angel of impact, so you know where it's from), and the MO display shows the status of the little guy as it runs around, as well as providing the ability to change settings via the buttons on the PCB. So far the impact on the batteries is small, though I would recommend rechargeables.

It's also quite useful to be able to tell where the sumo impacts are coming from (ie, a wall or object, or something else that's moving coming into contact with the robot) for Sumo competitions, since the robot knows exactly where it was hit from and can react accordingly.

Is there any interest in a kit like this? W/O the sensors and equipment, it'll be about $40 for the board, mounting hardware, associated cables and connectors. It all fits on the Solarbotics sumo and looks quite clean. As is, it provides button usage and the DB9 port. You can add whatever you want to it- Ultrasonic sensor, the Memsic, or the Display as you need to.

-S'Captain