Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Efficient learning curve? — Parallax Forums

Efficient learning curve?

Tommy BotTommy Bot Posts: 60
edited 2006-10-24 13:19 in BASIC Stamp
What is the best way to self teach oneself to program in Pbasic without taking· months to become fairly adequate? Is WAM·THE way to go, or are there other tutorials or methods?

I hardwire (relay and timer logic) my controls and would like to switch over but don't have alot of time if I am to put my next project on a BS2. I have a BOE and BS2P24, and have the remainder of the Bot kit, the Ping))) /w bracket, the digital encoders, and the IR remote·coming in the mail. I entend to use the BOE-BOT to stretch my brain and hopefully provide most of the learning curve.

Thanks Tommy

Comments

• Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2006-10-22 04:57
    I haven't been doing this long myself, but I'd definetly start with the WAM text, simply to learn the basics, especially connecting external devices to the stamp.

Since you also talked about controls using relays and timers, the next text I'd suggest would be Industrial Control.

Link to Industrial Control text:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28156· Look toward the bottom of the page for the link to the pdf file.

I hope this helps!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-10-22 14:53
    Something I still haven't done is go through the WAM....afraid I have a hard time learnin to crawl when all i can think about is running! So, it's taking me longer than it should to learn PBasic.

I'd strongly suggest the WAM....Parallax has most of their books up on their site for 'FREE'...so take advantage of them. Check out their digital signals book and their process control....lots of good stuff!

cheers

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-10-22 16:21
    if you want fast·,without learning anything·get a smart relay , they are not cheap but there fast . I have a concrete plant i run with one & been trying to switch to a basic stamp , put now that propeller came out ,i'm shooting for that

Brian
  • Tommy BotTommy Bot Posts: 60
    edited 2006-10-22 17:25
    Truck,

That's not a bad idea. I looked at Idec's Smart Relay, and the new products that they have coming out, awesome stuff programmed in basic. These would definitely fit the bill for the job related stuff. That being said, The reason I chose the BS2 (and Boe-Bot) was to dive into the hobby side of it. I will still learn Pbasic, just currious as to the best inclusive immersion technique(s) to accomplish it. Christ(mas) is coming soon and time to make toys for the kids is short. yeah.gif·Like say a robotic happy face?

Thanks for the input so far Desy, Steve, and Truck. It is much appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    (Frequently heard from other's)

Tommy, I know it wasn't designed to·x, but can you make it·do x·anyway?

·
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 2006-10-22 18:17
    I can tell you from personal experiance (as a person with kids ,hobbies and a business)the basic stamp is a awsome piece of hardware for controlling eqipment & playing with ,but even programing in pbasic takes a little bit of practice (A 9" robot would have a hard time ripping your arm off compared to a car crusher) so learn it at your own pace & have fun with it!!

Brian

p.s WAM is a awsome place to start ,all of basic stamp learning info is on there web site , and can· be·freely downloaded

Post Edited (truckwiz) : 10/22/2006 6:22:01 PM GMT
    edited 2006-10-23 19:58
    Is Programming the Boe-Bot before completing WAM sugested? Or should WAM be completed first?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-10-23 22:12
    Hi TommyBot,

WAM was written to be the starting point to the series,·but some people start with Robotics with the Boe-Bot first instead, as the first two chapters of the books are almost the same.·Even if you start by working through·Robotics with the ·Boe-Bot, WAM is worth downloading·and reading for·the programming techniques·and ideas.·You can download·both books for·free:

WAM: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152

Boe-Bot: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=910-28132

From your list of "toys" it sounds like you are going to have lots of fun.· If you want to see a Boe-Bot project with the Ping))) sensor, check out Andy Lindsay's Stamps in Class Mini Projects threads here:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=560570

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Editor, Parallax Inc.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-23 22:32
    There is something that may help. In addition to the pdfs, there are also some very good PowerPoint downloads on the Parallax site.

The 2 you might be most interested in are WaM, which follows the WaM text, and the Parallax Basic Stamp Tutorial. Both can be found here: www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/downloads/downloads.asp

If you don't have PowerPoint, you can download a free reader from Microsoft.
    edited 2006-10-24 11:15
    Thanks guys, I have already downloaded all of the above and more, just waiting for the remainder of the Bot in the mail. (by Thursday). I think that I will concentrate on the BoeBot, but continue to read the suplimental stuff and take it as it comes.

TBot

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • CCraigCCraig Posts: 163
    edited 2006-10-24 13:19
    I don't know what your controlling, but I'd recommend going through "Basic Analog and Digital" also.

Your mileage may vary, but I found it to be a really good course.

HTH, Chris