Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD: Vdd or external power source? — Parallax Forums

LCD: Vdd or external power source?

PalmerPalmer Posts: 11
edited 2006-10-25 02:47 in BASIC Stamp
hello,

···· The documentation that came in the sealed pack with the LCD says that the current draw is too much for the Basic Stamp but the Tutorial on the parallax webpage under Resources on the LCD's page says to go ahead an connect it to Vdd.· Does anybody know which is correct?·
···· Also I'm assuming that the ground needs to connect to Vss·and to the negative terminal of the battery if I do need an external battery source, right?

AP

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-21 00:11
    Palmer,
    ·
    ·· The issue is with powering the LCD Display from the BASIC Stamp’s on-board regulator, which cannot supply enough current.· But on a BOE and some other boards there is a dedicated regulator which can handle a lot more current.· And that can power the LCD.· Which board do you have your BASIC Stamp on?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • PalmerPalmer Posts: 11
    edited 2006-10-21 00:54
    Chris I have the BOE rev C. So this should be fine then right?
    Vdd -> 5V
    GND -> Vss
    Pin # -> Rx
    and it should work fine.

Another question...is there then an issue with using servos at the same time?
    edited 2006-10-21 04:45
    Palmer,
    ·
    ·· Yes, the Vdd on the BOE comes from the BOE Regulator, which is capable of up to 1A of current.· If you connect the LCD to one of the servo headers using the recommended cable, just be sure the jumper between these blocks is in its default position of Vdd, not Vin.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-22 15:56
    Chris,

Sorry about the confusion but I meant is there a power issue with using both a servo (from Parallax, Futaba) and the LCD display at the same time. I didn't mean to run power or signal to one of the sets of servo pins. Would I be drawing too much apms running both?

Thanks, AP
    edited 2006-10-23 04:36
    Palmer,
    ·
    ·· Not at all…You should be able to run both no problem as long as the servo voltage jumper is connected to Vdd, no Vin.· It should be by default.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-25 02:47
    Thanks, parallax is probably the best simply because of their customer support philosophy.