Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Emic and Propeller — Parallax Forums

Emic and Propeller

Marty UMarty U Posts: 1
edited 2007-02-28 20:10 in Propeller 1
Just got an Emic speech module. I cannot get the Emic board to respond to anything I send with the propeller Demo board.·The EMIC LED color at start up on the EMIC with the color sequence seems fine.I have the EMIC Sin connected to IO Pin 2.·
Tried both DIP switch positions with no luck on the EMIC – ASCII and Hex mode.··
Hooked up·a logic analyzer to SIN and I see the text string coming across fine at 2400 baud, no parity,1 stop bit.··The EMIC LED stays green the whole time and the busy line never changes.
Need someone to help point me in the right direction.· Sample code I am using attached.
Thanks!
336B
emic 336B

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2006-10-20 21:37
    Marty,

Give it plenty of time to initialize. I highly recommend that you give it the "hard" reset sequence, which means using one more line from the Prop to the EMIC. Bring that line low for one millisecond and then either wait one full second or wait for the "OK" response to come back. That also insures that there is no junki in the receive buffer that would prevent it from recognizing the "say". For concatenating phrases it is also important to implement the "busy" line as an input to Prop. I've worked with it on the Stamp, not on the Prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2006-10-20 21:49
    The emic requires +5V supply and the Propeller runs on 3.3V. Assuming the emic is running on +5V how have you connected the SOUT and BUSY lines back to the prop? I would just use 10K current limit resistors directly to the prop to handle the +5V logic levels from the emic.

The 3.3V logic from the prop to the emic should be fine but I notice that the minimum reset control voltage (Vinrst) is 0.8*Vcc = 4V.

my2cents

*Peter*
  • RW58RW58 Posts: 7
    edited 2006-12-04 19:38
    I am experiencing the same issues with the Emic text-to-speech platform (solid green, no sound). Anyone have any luck with this board?

Thanks.
  • Joe McClureJoe McClure Posts: 21
    edited 2007-02-28 20:10
    Emic works fine with prop.
    Use Tracy Allen's·simple level shift example. (10k pull up resistor to 5v on emic's SI pin) and voila.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=124837

Joe

edited: solution credit goes to Tracy Allen

Post Edited (Joe McClure) : 2/28/2007 9:35:46 PM GMT