Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need collision detection circuit help! — Parallax Forums

Need collision detection circuit help!

ltmhallltmhall Posts: 102
edited 2006-10-20 17:24 in BASIC Stamp
I’m Building an autonomous mobile robot using a Basic Stamp module and differential drive and I need to build a collision detection circuit using bumper switches. Does any one have a circuit schematic or code·using this technique interfacing it to a Basic Stamp II?
·

Post Edited (ltmhall) : 10/20/2006 2:41:09 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-20 14:32
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Using bumpers would imply that you have already made a collision.· So if you want to avoid the collision altogether you could use IR, Sonar or a combination of both for best results.· We have several examples of using IR and Sonar (PING) in various places.· The Robotics With The BOE-Bot manual shows the IR routines and the Roaming With PING))) code and a few other examples with the BOE-Bot demonstrate how to use Sonar.· You can find these in the Stamps In Class Forum in the Sticky Thread at the top.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-10-20 15:25
    ltmhall--

There are many good reasons to have a collision or bumper circuit on your machine. If nothing else, you will learn quite a bit in the "doing" of it. Back in the VERY old days, that is all we had available and I've used them with a lot of success. Today, if I build the "walker" I plan (hope? dream?) to build, I imagine I will have some sort of "collision" detection on the soles of the feet so I will know when a foot "collides" with the floor.

Like you, I am a newbie. But, I have the books! I cannot give advice on circuits because I am not qualified . . . yet. However, I think the circuit you want is exactly like the one shown below (or at least one-fourth of it) . . .
    Push%20Buttons.JPG
    Although I cannot answer many questions, I can say that Vdd is +5vdc·and that Vss is (obviously) ground.·Stamp I/O pins P0 through P3 are configured as inputs. (Get the book, especially if you have only ONE collision detector.)

This circuit was taken from page 94 of the Stampworks book. I have the actual book, but you can download it free from http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27220

Good luck and I am interested in how it works out for you.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-10-20 17:10
    check out the "button" command in the manual
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-10-20 17:24
    Steve--

Ha! I must be learning SOMETHING because that is exactly why I told him to get the book, especially if he had only one collision circuit!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.