Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interfaceing the basic stamp with a pc. — Parallax Forums

Interfaceing the basic stamp with a pc.

MMISCOOLMMISCOOL Posts: 36
edited 2006-10-22 10:35 in BASIC Stamp
I wood like to be able to send and retreive data from the basic stamp wile the stamp is conected to the computer via rs232 and was wonderin wether there wood be an ez was of using the debeugin and out comands with a peice of software on the computer. My favorite computere prograing language is liberty basic and I wood like for someone who has done something like this to posible help me with the code on the pc and stamp side. **excuse spelling errors

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 10/20/2006 4:36:18 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-20 04:05
    Look at Martin Hebel's StampPlot Pro (<www.selmaware.com>). Other than that, the DEBUG/DEBUGIN statements just do conventional serial I/O at 9600 Baud and pretty much any program on the PC that can speak 9600 Baud 8-bit serial I/O can communicate with the Stamp. You'll have to figure out how to do that on the PC side if you're not already familiar with it. The PBasic manual pretty thoroughly talks about the DEBUG/DEBUGIN side.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-10-20 04:11
    StampPlot is a good application for interfacing with the BASIC Stamp (since that's what it was made to do [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The BASIC Stamp can be used to configure and read the interface. For example, the following code will create a slider StampPlot then use it to update a variable for playing a tone:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

PAUSE 1000                     'allow connection to stablize
    Freq VAR Word

DEBUG "!NEWP", CR,         ' start a new plot
          "!O Clear",CR,             ' clear any objects
          "!PPER 50,50",CR,        ' reduce plot area to 50% by 50%
          "!O ohslider.freq=30,40",CR   'create a slider named Freq at 30 left, 40 up, 0- 100 for range

DO
      DEBUG "!READ (freq)",CR       ' request value of slider
      DEBUGIN DEC Freq                ' accept returning value
      FREQOUT 8, 200, Freq * 50     ' sound tone on P8
    LOOP

StampPlot may be used for Free for home and educational use.
    www.stampplot.com

If you want to create your own software, you simply need to access the serial port and accept and send values.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices
  • Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
    edited 2006-10-22 08:58
    For a more controlled own written program from the computer. Look at this link from Shaun Wilson http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Orchard/6633/vb5.html. Some great samples to learn the interfacing
  • kdw-bekdw-be Posts: 1
    edited 2006-10-22 10:35
    Hey,

I have found software that can communicate with a Basic Stamp and store the data in an Excel or Acces file.

You can find the software on http://www.windmill.co.uk/

Has anywone has some experience with this software?

Greetings