Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why is my BS2 not detected when using USB-Serial Adapted ? — Parallax Forums

Why is my BS2 not detected when using USB-Serial Adapted ?

Aaqil KhanAaqil Khan Posts: 60
edited 2006-10-20 14:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

Does anyone else have this kind of situation? I use my BS2Px24 with the professional dev board thru the USB on my laptop (since my laptop does not have serial ports). I recently bought a USB 2.0 to Serial adapter (http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I3274) and decided to try out the PDB with this adapter instead of the USB cable to see if it works.

But when I try to identify my basic stamp all I get is: Loopback: YES, Echo: YES but NO Device type or Echo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
E=mc^2
373 x 190 - 16K

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-19 23:49
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· It’s possible that your USB to Serial Adapter doesn’t properly support the full serial protocol or the handshaking signals.· It could also be the timing of these signals that could be the issue.· We have an adapter that works and since you mentioned the PDB it also has a USB connection.· One thing you can try to see if it helps is that some adapters require the FIFO buffers to be disabled.· If that doesn’t help you may need to go with another one.· See the link below for our USB to 232 adapter.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28031

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-20 13:16
    Does the USB PDB board also have a separate serial programming port? I'd be amazed if it did. If you connect a second USB adapter to the PDB DB-9 -- well, that's not the programming port, is it?
  • Aaqil KhanAaqil Khan Posts: 60
    edited 2006-10-20 14:07
    Thanks chris,
    I didnt find any options to disable FIFO buffering in the adapter properties. Maybe this one doest have that setting.

But does this indicate that I cannot use this USB-serial adapter for VB6-stamp communication? I will be using the Max232e chip built onto the PDB with this adapter. Do you think this will work? As far as programming the stamp is concerned, I am happy with the USB programming port on the PDB.

allanlane5·- yes the PDB is really an awesome development board (hats off to parallax). Not only does it have a USB programming port, but it also has serial programming port and a separate serial port for intrerfacing the stamp with the PC thru a on board MAX232E chip. Its well worth the money.

I'd be more happy if my USB-serial adapter worked well. I dont have any serial device at home to test the adapter with. Anyone has any idea how to test this adapter without a serial device?

regards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E=mc^2
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-20 14:26
    ·· Typically when USB to Serial Adapters don’t work for programming the BASIC Stamp, they can still be used for communication.· There shouldn’t be a problem as long as the driver is installed and functioning.· You should be able to verify this by programming the PDB through the USB port (have you tried this?) with a simple program to DEBUG some messages…Then connect to the Serial Programming Port with your adapter and open a DEBUG Window to the Adapter’s COM Port at 9600 bps and you should see the messages on the DEBUG screen.· Once you verify this then you can move to using the other DB9 Serial Port on the PDB.· Take Care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support