Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
parallell display and BS2 — Parallax Forums

parallell display and BS2

RobbanRobban Posts: 124
edited 2006-10-19 18:25 in BASIC Stamp
i have a BS2 and wondering if i can connect a parallell display?
like a Pled/Oled/VFD

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-19 16:44
    You would need some kind of display controller chip, then the details of how to connect it depend on the controller chip.
    There are some vendors of parallel interface VFDs like Matrix Orbital <www.matrixorbital.com> who use controller chips that are compatible with the parallel controllers used in all the Parallax tutorials and examples and should work with the LCD commands in PBasic.

Remember that the built-in LCD commands are only in the BS2p series Stamps (p/pe/px), but there are examples for using parallel LCDs with other Stamps without the built-in statements.
  • RobbanRobban Posts: 124
    edited 2006-10-19 16:51
    I was considering to buy a Pled like this one...check PDF bellow

http://www.fractronics.com/P029-BL2002B.pdf
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-19 16:59
    I can't tell for certain from this information, but you probably could control it although not with the built-in commands or sample programs that Parallax provides.

Just from the brief datasheet, this looks like an 8-bit data bus. It would take probably 10-12 pins on the Stamp to control it. There's no timing information on the datasheet, so I can't really tell for sure whether the Stamp can handle it, but it probably could.

The other display I mentioned has both an 8-bit and a 4-bit bus, so the number of pins required to control it is less. It also has the advantage that Parallax's examples and the BS2p's built-in statements should work with it.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-10-19 18:25
    Robban said...
    i have a BS2 and wondering if i can connect a parallell display?
    like a Pled/Oled/VFD

This controller would work very nicely with that display www.wulfden.org/k107/

I am using them on several displays (both 2X16 and 4X20) with no problems at all. Peter Anderson's sit has more information and some PBasic code for it (it uses Anderson's PIC).

Post Edited (Paul Sr.) : 10/19/2006 6:28:56 PM GMT