Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Display Question — Parallax Forums

LCD Display Question

EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
edited 2006-10-24 02:42 in BASIC Stamp
I am going to purchase an LCD screen to experiment with here in the next few days. I am a college athlete and money is really tight, unfortunately. I have to spend my money wisely. Nothing against Parallax or their prices. I wanted to get something about 4x20 (at LEAST 2x20). Ease-of-use is not important. Wondering if the 4x20 LCD ($39.99) is reasonably priced. Should I just shop around for a 44780 and another LCD? Can i find something cheaper? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

Blaine

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-19 07:21
    Blaine -

Here is a source (link below) of reasonably priced, surplus LCD's. Make sure you check the supplied data sheet before you make a purchase to ensure that it's HD44780 compatible. Here it the link:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/365/LCDs_(Liquid_Crystal_Displays).html

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-10-19 10:27
    The Parallax serial LCD that you linked to is one of the least expensive, fully assembled 20 x 4 LCD displays I've seen.

You can save some money if you use a HD44780 display, but note this requires about 8 I/O lines and is more difficult to program - see Bruce's link.

Another option is a build-it-yourself serial version like Peter Anderson's #117 kit with a 20 x 4 LCD and parts for the serial controller (minus the printed circuit board) for $19.95 here www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html
    or a non-backlit version with a printed circuit board for $21 here
    www.wulfden.org/k107/index.shtml
  • bsparkybsparky Posts: 52
    edited 2006-10-19 11:09
    Kronosrobotics.com sells a LCD interface and shows programing for the Stamp to use with it very easy to use. I feel its much easier to use than Phil's. I have used 3 different controler chips and Kronos to me is the easyest. Just my two cents. LCD from Allelectronics with HD44780 are great but don't get the 4 x 40.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-19 14:20
    bsparky,
    ·
    ·· What is wrong with the 4X40 Displays?· They are essentially the same as any other display with the exception that they have two enable lines to cover all 4 lines.· Most have lines 1 and 3 on the first controller and lines 2 and 4 on the second controller.· Other than that it’s all the same.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-19 19:40
    thanks alot of the comments guys. i'll check those out when i ave time tonight.

Blaine
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-10-19 20:16
    The reason I have not bought LCD displays in the past is because they were so expensive. I pay tuition for 3 college students at the moment.

I ordered my first few to try out from Feturlec, I don't know why the price is so different but then I don't know much of anything about LCD's.... (yet)
    Good prices on SSR's too.

http://www.futurlec.com/LCDDisp.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
    edited 2006-10-20 15:39
    Hey Chris;

Just felt that for a beginer the 4x40 would be difficult to get to work. Quess I'm just a beginer to because I have been having
    a heck of a time getting one to work, bought 2 from Allelectronics for $8.00 apiece. Tried to use two serial control chips to make it work, also tried one control chip and some other logic chip to reroute the enable line. Still no go.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-20 18:16
    bsparky,
    ·
    ·· I’ve had pretty good luck with the ones I have used in both parallel and serial mode.· In serial mode I too had to make a custom controller which had dual Enable control lines, but it wasn’t too bad.· Were you able to get anything from the display?· Even treating it as a single unit (2x20)?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-10-21 15:51
    Here are two PDF file links at this link part one and two of "How to use intelligent L.C.D.s by Julyan Ilett.

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/resources.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
    edited 2006-10-24 02:42
    Yes Chris I was able to get one 2x40 at a time work. Not sure if I'm holding the enable line high or low properly on the other display. I have a Eagle Sch. using the Kronosrobotics controler, if you would like to see it.