Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BOE board of education connected in serial or parallel? — Parallax Forums

BOE board of education connected in serial or parallel?

huiminhuimin Posts: 2
edited 2006-10-18 17:29 in BASIC Stamp
i was using the BOE for my project and beside using BOE i have included a eb500 and a sound moudule. i have faced a problem on how to place the sound module on the BOE when i hav already used the port for the eb500. btw is the BOE connected in serial or parallel?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-18 12:46
    "in serial" or "in parallel" usually refers to how batteries are hooked up.

Devices are hooked to the "Serial" port, or the "Parallel" port. In the BOE's case, it is hooked up to the Serial port.

Now, the 'output' "port" on the BOE is usually called the App-Mod connector, and IT is 'parallel', as it routes all the BS2's I/O pins (and power--Vdd, and ground--Vss, and even Vin) to the connector. In theory, you can 'stack' modules on it. In practice, I don't know if Parallax has provided the 'feed-through' connector needed to do that.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-18 14:20
    allanlane5 said...(trimmed)
    "in serial" or "in parallel" usually refers to how batteries are hooked up.
    Allan,
    ·
    ·· Take LCD Displays for example…They can be Serial or Parallel.· Likewise there are AppMods that are Serial (Such as the Sound ApMod) and others that are Parallel (such as the LCD AppMod).
    ·
    huimin,
    ·
    ·· Basically, assuming you’re using the Sound AppMod all you have to do is verify that the I/O pins it is using don’t conflict with any that are being used by the EB500.· Both devices list the pins used in the documentation.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-18 15:33
    Yes, they can be "serial" or "parallel" -- but you wouldn't say "hook it up 'IN SERIAL'", you'd say "Hook it up to the Serial Port" -- which was my point above.

Now, DO you guys have stackable connectors for the App-Mod connector? Which I think was the OP's question.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-18 15:42
    Allan,
    ·
    ·· Assuming the OP is using the Sound AppMod it does have a socket on top.· So if it was plugged in first, then the EB500 could plug into the top of it, as long as there are no other conflicting pins, something I have not checked myself.·· But it should work.· I would just verify the pins.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-18 17:29
    Yay! Thanks Chris.