Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming Two — Parallax Forums

Programming Two

SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
edited 2006-10-17 16:05 in General Discussion
I have a Prop Stick that is serial and a SX Tech Board that is Serial.

I am so tired of moving the programming cable between the two.

What do I have to buy and what do I have to do so I can keep them both connected and program them as I need to?

Thanks for any Advice,
Eric
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-17 15:06
    Eric,
    ·
    ·· You could either get a Serial A/B switch, or you could add a second serial cable and have both connected to different ports.· If you don’t have a second serial port on your computer you can easily add one with our inexpensive USB to 232 adapter.· I hope this helps.· Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28031

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-17 15:11
    You can buy serial switchboxes that have anywhere from two to four or more 9-pin standard serial connectors on the back and a rotary switch on the front to select which one is to be used. These are less common these days since most computers use USB for serial connections. Check out this page <http://startech.com/Product/ItemList.aspx?MLID=2&WCLID=185&WCID=133&c=US>. These are 25 pin serial switchboxes and you would need 9-pin to 25-pin adapters. I found this with a quick websearch. You may be able to find some 9-pin units with a little more effort.
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-10-17 15:44
    I would suggest going with multiple USB/Serial adapters. Each one can have a different "virtual serial port" assigned. No messing with A/B switches, and if you are using two different UIs (Like Propeller and PBasic and/or SX Basic, you could even have both open and "active" at the same time.

A/B switches are bulky and a pain in the neck, given current alternatives.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-17 16:05
    ·· John’s suggestion is basically what I have at my home office.· My computer has two serial ports, however I also have two USB to 232 adapters coming out, as well as the USB Scope and Propeller Demo Board.· At any given time my Ports list shows about 6 COM Ports.· I have them setup so that I always use a specific one for SX stuff, and the others pretty much find their hardware.· It’s interesting when I have two or three BASIC Stamp Boards connected.· The Editor comes up and asks me which one I want to download to.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support