Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
control AC light source from the BS2 — Parallax Forums

control AC light source from the BS2

SYSY Posts: 11
edited 2006-10-17 23:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm currently working on a simple project, where I need to turn on AC light bulbs after a button is pressed. These lights should stay on (one at a time, individually controlled) for 3 seconds and then turn off.
The programming shouldn't be difficult but my question is - what would be the best way to amplify the output signal from the BS2 to turn on the AC bulb. I'm thinking of a relay.
Anyones has any suggestions for me?
Appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks.
Sharon.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-16 21:10
    Use what's called a solid state relay (SSR). These generally consist of an LED on the Stamp side and some circuitry that works like a light dimmer on the AC side. The LED side works just like any other LED. The Stamp manual and the What's a Microcontroller? tutorial have all kind of detail on that. The main thing about the AC side is to be careful when wiring it so there's no possibility of a short between the AC and your Stamp circuit. All the major distributers carry lines of SSRs with different capacities, etc. Check Mouser, DigiKey, Jameco, etc.

Basically, when the LED lights up (internal to the SSR), the AC turns on.
  • SYSY Posts: 11
    edited 2006-10-17 14:08
    Thank you very much for your quick response.
    Sharon.
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-10-17 23:21
    sy said...
    I'm currently working on a simple project, where I need to turn on AC light bulbs after a button is pressed. These lights should stay on (one at a time, individually controlled) for 3 seconds and then turn off. The programming shouldn't be difficult but my question is - what would be the best way to amplify the output signal from the BS2 to turn on the AC bulb. I'm thinking of a relay. Anyones has any suggestions for me? Appreciate all the help I can get.
    I would suggest you have a look at this device from EFX-TEK (Formerly ParallaxEFX):

http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/rc-4.html

This unit uses Solid State Relays:

http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/crydom.html

to control up to four AC devices. It connects usinag a standard "servo" type connector so is very easy to interface to the Basic Stamp. I've used RC-4's to control devices in my halloween haunted house such as flourescent "Blacklights", fans, solenoids etc. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 10/17/2006 11:24:55 PM GMT