Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Displays & IO port expansion — Parallax Forums

LCD Displays & IO port expansion

EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
edited 2006-10-16 17:28 in BASIC Stamp
I'm looking into LCD displays. I found a few good ones for really cheap (overstock) from Microtips. What do I need to look for to be able to interface an LCD display with a BS2-compatible controller/driver? Which controllers/drivers are compatible? Anything that can can be controlled·via 8-Bit Direct Accessing should be fine right? Sorry, very VERY new to this stuff. Also, what is the best way to expand IO ports? I have read something about a shiftout(?)·command than can handle·select IC modules, which can be cascaded themselves as well. I would be greatful for any info. Thanks,

Blaine

Comments

• EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-16 17:02
    I just answered my second question about the IO port expansion. Scratch that
  • EvilDonut0EvilDonut0 Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-16 17:20
    Would I be able to use a color LCD off of an LG phone that I broke? The LCD screen still works. Its a fairly new phone (LG-MM535).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=74112
    295 x 122 - 3K
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-16 17:28
    The short answer: Maybe not, certainly not without a lot of research and work. These LCDs often don't include a controller designed to work with something like a Stamp. Frequently, they're designed to connect to the phone's microcontroller which may have special circuitry for directly controlling LCDs (to save money). If there is a separate controller, you'd have to find documentation on it. It's possible and you might have fun doing it. Good luck!

Simplest I/O expansion is the 74HC595 for output and the 74HC164 for input.