Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dynamic PC interface w/SNMP — Parallax Forums

Dynamic PC interface w/SNMP

MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
edited 2006-10-16 18:23 in General Discussion
Hi folks,

I've been searching through these forums, but can't find anything quite on point for my problem.
I want to examine a web page display, capture certain HTML or SNMP entries and output them in a Serial framework to a BS2. I need this to happen automatically several times a second.

Here is the rest of the system:
Grass Valley Group 8900 Gecko frames

( http://www.thomsongrassvalley.com/docs/Manuals/modular/8900Series/8900net/071-0612-04.pdf )

reporting via 10 Base T through a hub topology to a dedicated PC. The reporting information ( SNMP ) will be displayed in a common web browser and periodically archived.

We have 50+ frames, but right now, I'll be very happy to get just one to work in this fashion.

I want to take a seperate output from the hub and use it to feed a Stamp based alarm panel. From the point of the Serial output, I've got the bull by the short an' curlies, so to speak, but I don't know enough (anything) about the PINK software to know if it will serve in this fashion. OR perhaps I can get the dedicated PC to output what I need?

Can someone relate experience they have automagically updating PC-fed browser information to a Stamp? Actually, extracting data directly from SNMP agent packets might be far more efficient, it that is possible.

Much appreciated.

Kalo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard

Comments

• mojorizingmojorizing Posts: 249
    edited 2006-10-16 16:47
    check out this application www.flexipanel.com/Docs/The%20Stock%20Clock.pdf

It's a "stock clock" that displays on a remote lcd data sent via zigbee from a computer that is running "radioticker.exe". This program scrubs the html on a webpage for content and outputs via com port. I had to download 2 DLL files off the internet and put them in the same folder to make this work on an XP machine. The application files are here>>>www.flexipanel.com/Downloads/StockClockResources.zip
    and was originally printed in Aprils edition of Circuitcellar.

You won't need a Pink to do it this way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Bad spellers of the world untie!
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-16 17:53
    A couple of questions:

1. Where/how is the HTML/SNMP info being generated?
    2. What is the function of the BS2 in your system?
  • MachineMonkeyMachineMonkey Posts: 30
    edited 2006-10-16 18:23
    Answers:
    1) SNMP agents are local to firmware of GVG racks (pdf given in link). SNMP Manager (@ PC) specifies criteria.
    2) BS2 runs the alarm panel. Logs are all well and good, but we want a physical alarm (discrete LEDs for each module and common buzzer, linked w/ single 'Acknowledge Switch') that operators can rely on to pinpoint problems without user intervention.

So... Control bytes to BS2; BS2 interprets conditions re: alarm needs; BS2 Serout to DC-16s, which run the LED matrix and common buzzer. BS2 input for paralleled ACK inputs (assuming multiple panel locations).

Kalo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard