Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New programming Language!!!! — Parallax Forums

New programming Language!!!!

lobolobo Posts: 100
edited 2006-10-16 05:55 in Propeller 1
By asking this question i dont mean any disrespect or am implying that i dont like the propeller language:

Having said that why in the world is it that everytime the people at parallax create a gadget or invent or enhance a gagdet they create a new language?

I mean dont we have c++, java, basic, #, ect, programs that are a billion times better than this language.

why? a new language? is it business or just to get our lazy buts to work our minds?

what say you?

Comments

• The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2006-10-15 05:26
    I thinks it's to get our lazy butts to work our minds. freaked.giffreaked.gif

Well, I don't think basic would be able to do the job that spin does, seeing as how basic is kinda "slow."
    SPIN is slow don't get me wrong, compared to assembly, but it is specifically designed for this processor, just the the PBASIC for the BS (no pun intended
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-15 06:06
    There have been a lot of programming languages over the years. Some of them have been carefully designed for specific purposes. Some of them have been put together willy-nilly. Some of them have been designed for specific hardware and some have been hard to make work on almost any kind of hardware. Some of them have been based on high principles and some have not been based on any principles at all. The history of computing is full of new or modified languages introduced for all kinds of purposes. Some have worked well and some have not.

SPIN seems to be well designed, certainly has features derived from programming languages that have served the test of time. At this point, the compiler appears to be stable and pretty much bug-free. The language is not hard to learn and seems to be well matched to its intended use.
  • BergamotBergamot Posts: 185
    edited 2006-10-16 05:55
    The Spin interpreter is a Propeller assembly program, and is therefore limited to 512 instructions (2Kb).

Frankly, the fact that Chip got a decent interpreted language in that space at all is purely a testament to his skill; It's pretty silly to complain because it's not a full implementation of the C++ or Java specs.