Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Advanced Techniques with Serial LCDs — Parallax Forums

Advanced Techniques with Serial LCDs

CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
edited 2006-10-17 19:30 in BASIC Stamp
On·Scott Edward's website,·http://www.seetron.com/pdf/lcd_an1.pdf·there is available for download the·"LCD Serial Backpack App Note No.1 which has the big numbers I want on my LCD

I have a Parallax #27979 4 by 20 LCD.· Using the template available from Parallax's website for that LCD, I have tried to cut and paste some of Scott Edward's code into that template so that I can display 1 inch numbers on the Parallax LCD.· I have not had much luck and I am confused with some of the code·in the Scott Edwards program called BIGNUM.bs2 such as:

cgRAM con 64

and:

pat VAR EEptr

I have never seen a variable declared as anything but a bit, byte, nibble or word

what about this one:
SEROUT 0,N96N,[noparse][[/noparse]32]

I realize that it is a serout command for pin 0 on the bs2 and that N96N is a baud rate but what does the [noparse][[/noparse]32] signify?

He also sets his serout pin on the bs2 low when he initializes and waits for 1 sec.· The parallax version sets this pin high to initialize

I guess what I am trying to discover is how much of the code from his example can be used with the #27979 and how much is proprietary to his own serial backpack.·

I believe that much of his code especially the data statements and the assignment of special characters to lines 1,2,3, and 4 will transfer to any 4 line serial LCD but so far I just get gibberish on the LCD.

Anyone out there have experience with this Scott Edwards program on a Parallax LCD?

·

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-15 04:42
    Cogburn -

Better break out the PBASIC Reference Manual and review the pages on constants and variables. Here is what you have:

cgRAM con 64 'Assign the variable to decimal 64 ($40 or space)

and

pat VAR EEptr 'Assign an alias name·to the variable EEptr

You then asked:

what about this one:
    SEROUT 0,N96N,[noparse][[/noparse]32] 'Output decimal 64 ($40 or space)

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 10/15/2006 7:57:45 AM GMT
  • CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
    edited 2006-10-17 17:39
    OK, I have read the sections in the Basic Stamp Manual that describe constants and variables.· I understand the code in Scott Edward's program that declare variables and constants.· That was an education- I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the use of the BIGNUM.bs2 program as it would apply to the Parallax LCD· #27979?·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-10-17 19:30
    Cogburn said...
    OK, I have read the sections in the Basic Stamp Manual that describe constants and variables. I understand the code in Scott Edward's program that declare variables and constants. That was an education- I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the use of the BIGNUM.bs2 program as it would apply to the Parallax LCD #27979?

They have different "controllers" and [noparse][[/noparse]therefore] command sets. Plus it doesn't look like the Parallax has a "Big Character" mode - so it would be a non-trivial task to produce them.