Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motor selection with the Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller? Amps: Stall, max — Parallax Forums

Motor selection with the Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller? Amps: Stall, max

PalmerPalmer Posts: 11
edited 2006-10-14 20:49 in BASIC Stamp
hello,

···· I'm trying to do some motor selection based on the restraints on the Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller.· When it says, "up to 2amps with a single motor and up to 1 amp with two motors" which amperage is it refering to:· the stall, max eff. or the no load?· I don't want to fry the motor controller or the stamp by picking something with too much amp draw but I'd rather not have to gear down to a crawling speed.· I already purchased this controller and I don't really want to buy something like the HB-25 because of >$$$.· Can anybody help me with this question?

········ Thanks---AP.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-14 20:36
    They're probably defining the maximum current regardless of the status of the motor. To be safe, you would want a stall current of no more than 2 amps total divided by the number of motors you use. If that won't work for you, you may have to assure that the motors won't stall or only one might stall, just so the total current is under 2A. You might check the datasheet for the controller or talk to the manufacturer to see what happens when the current is exceeded. Some controllers shut themselves down when the current is too high or the heatsink is too hot.
  • PalmerPalmer Posts: 11
    edited 2006-10-14 20:49
    Thanks, I've been looking at motors based on their stall torque just to be safe but I thought I'd get some confirmation on that though. I also noticed that Parallax is selling a modified Futaba servo that should get my job done and still have the torque without having to gear down. It runs at 60rpm which won't be terribly slow to test my concept. I'd rather just have one "thing" to mess with than having to align a bunch of gears.

Thanks again!---AP