Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
which format to draw schematic in — Parallax Forums

which format to draw schematic in

jonwjonw Posts: 67
edited 2006-10-17 23:45 in General Discussion
I would like to post my schematic. I can draw in autocad but I do not think I can cut and paste it into the forum and as such with the file as a attachment I do not think it will open for those that do not have autocad software.
·· I also have circuit maker and· electronics work bench (EWB), but I find these are slower to use.
·················· Thanks·· jonw

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-14 20:31
    If you can "print" the schematic to a file and post the PDF file, that will probably work for most people
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-10-14 23:24
    I've never used any version of AutoCad, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have some kind of export function.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • jonwjonw Posts: 67
    edited 2006-10-15 01:49
    Rick Yes I am able to export or save as a bit map. Then should I attach it, or paste it ,in the post?
    jonw
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,563
    edited 2006-10-15 01:54
    jonw,

A BMP (bitmap) would be just fine, but if you wanted to be more bandwidth frendly over the internet, convert the BMP's to JPG's

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Randy EvansRandy Evans Posts: 24
    edited 2006-10-15 14:52
    You can export the drawing to a .DFX. Autodesk has a free DXF viewer.

Randy
  • Randy EvansRandy Evans Posts: 24
    edited 2006-10-16 03:03
    Oops. Besides my dyslexia (DFX and DXF) I meant to say DWF (Drawing Web Format) which is made for just this sort of thing. The free viewer can be downloaded from

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2404513&CMP=ILC-GN9219645015

To export an AutoCAD drawing (*.dwg) , while in AutoCAD, click on File - Export - and choose Save as type - Drawing Web Format (*.dwg) and name it.

Randy
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-16 17:49
    jonw,
    ·
    ·· I think more people would be likely to look at the schematics if they could easily open them.· To that end posting them as a GIF, JPG or, if need be a BMP would be best.· PDF works well too, especially since all of our online documentation is in PDF format, most people probably have the Reader installed.· Anything that requires a third party program that most people wouldn’t likely have installed would be a deterrent I would think.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-10-17 23:18
    I downloaded a program called PremoPDF, It installs in your printer selection on windows. When youi print a document from any program you can print it to a PDF file.

I just found out though I cant attach a file that is of a MIME x-PDF type (see attached .pNG file made with Snagit.

Snagit is a nice little program to capture your screen contents and the PNG format is pretty good for that. It's not free though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
    556 x 280 - 18K
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-10-17 23:45
    Also as an fyi, for line art and text (such as a schematic), gif and png formats are more legible than jpg. Jpeg compression is really meant for photographs and tends to be pretty blurry, especially at higher compression levels.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick