Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VGA terminal for a linux router — Parallax Forums

VGA terminal for a linux router

hollywoodhollywood Posts: 9
edited 2006-10-15 09:32 in Propeller 1
hello propeller fans,

i want to use a propeller as a VGA terminal for a linux router (for example WRT54G with OpenWRT).

The Board of the router has +3.3V rx tx gnd. Can i direct connext rx and tx or shoud i use 100 ohm resistors ?

Is there a sample programm, that puts keyboards echo at screen and serial output and displays received data on screen ?

Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-13 18:07
    The resistors are to protect the Propeller from voltages above 3.3V and to protect from programming errors where a Propeller pin attached to some other device's output accidentally gets set to output mode and attempts to drive the output pin in the opposite direction from the other device. If this can't happen, then you don't need the current limiting resistors. Generally, if you're developing code and testing it, you should have some kind of current limiting resistor on any Propeller or Stamp pin connected to an external device output.

There are several sample programs included with the Propeller Tool and installed when you install the program. Have a look in the demo folder. There's at least one that does most of what you want. You probably want to use the hires VGA text driver and the FullDuplexSerial driver.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-10-14 03:12
    This might be useable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • hollywoodhollywood Posts: 9
    edited 2006-10-15 09:32
    thank you mike and mike

that works

turn.gif