Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Outdoor robotic platform — Parallax Forums

Outdoor robotic platform

KelvinKelvin Posts: 6
edited 2006-10-18 15:11 in General Discussion
I was researching electric mowers, and came across this item.· It looks like it could be a good platform for an outdoor robot - sturdy construction, two motors, battery/recharging built in.· You could replace the control guts with a basic stamp and a couple of HB-25 motor controllers, then sensor it up however you want.· It takes a bit of clicking around, but they have some pretty good diagrams of how the motors and transmissions work (Click 'how it works', then page 2).· It also has a pivoting rear caster wheel.· It is basically the same configuration as a boebot, but much bigger.· Total cost with shipping approaches $400, but I bet you could easily spend that cobbling something together yourself.

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepCategory.aspx?Name=NeutonCart2Step

Comments

• Randy EvansRandy Evans Posts: 24
    edited 2006-10-15 14:41
    Kelvin:

Thanks for the info. A Giant Boebot. It's perfect. Think of the possibilities; you could carry some sort of beacon amd it could follow you around while you're working outside.
    Hmm - a giant gripper on the front ? Tank treads ?

Randy
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-10-15 18:03
    It may be better suited as a robotic platform than gardening tool...

It has two INDEPENDENT motors, but only one speed control, and no actual steering.
    If this thing bumps into a rock it'll probably be yanked aside and out of the hands of whoever operates it.
    (Lawnmowers also have this problem, but to a much lesser degree as they don't have two independent drive trains or a castor wheel)
    As for the claims that it slows down a motor when turning, I wonder how they do that...
    I assume that the 'power pad' is the kill-switch?
    (Cludgey and stops you from getting a firm grip on the handle)

I wonder how they calculate running time...
    'Up to 5 hours'?
    They have TWO 12V/21A motors, and ONE 12V/17AH battery...
    Is that 'up to 5 hours' downhill in the Alps?

And the 'easy to store' part...
    If THAT's the definition of 'easy to store' then my father's 6Ton Tractor is easy to store - just drive it into the garage...
    (It was built big enough to take a 12Ton JCB and a car, and still have room left over... )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-10-18 13:02
    I guess I don't see why it wouldn't run for 5 hours. Empty.

As for steering, that to me seems simple. Reduce power on one side wheel increasing it equally on the other.

If you do build a robot out of it consider the use of a retractable extension cord. Lots of power with no worries (or fewer worries) then a battery. Yes it is a tether, on the other hand you don't need to worry so much about weight and using to much power as much as if it were a battery powered.
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2006-10-18 15:11
    the motors look like "power wheels" type from the ride on toys u can get them on ebay cheap so unless u really like the shape i,d build my own,,,hmmm wonder wht it would look like with "MattTracks" [noparse]:)[/noparse]