Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
reading serial keypads? — Parallax Forums

reading serial keypads?

quispqixquispqix Posts: 64
edited 2006-10-15 04:19 in General Discussion
can someone help! I have a small foldable keyboard with +/- and data (3 wires) and three serial keypads 4x3 matrix. The chip for the keypad seems to be 'karl-2 8818 CFA taiwan', 3.579545MHz crystal and UCN5810a and a 555. I have tried every BS2 serin code I can think of. I was hoping someone has had some experience, salvaging keypad/boards? the key pads are 12v, gnd, and two wires data in, data out. (moose products inc model sx-3136, I have three) and one keyboard for a Royal DaVinci palm orginizer.
If you can help me read these Id appreciate it! roll.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
It is better to burn out than to fade away,... Because rust, never sleeps!

Comments

• MaryMc2009MaryMc2009 Posts: 6
    edited 2006-10-13 02:45
    Sometimes letting go is so hard to do...until Ebay came along.
  • UVNETUVNET Posts: 2
    edited 2006-10-13 20:21
    Regarding salvaging keypads, perhaps the chip is defective or rejected (and dumped onto surplus market).
    THE SWITCHES ARE GOOD so what I would do is code a new chip for the protocol you prefer.
    I generally despise (and dispose - of) used carbonized rubber keypads.

Another thing I would do first is look on an o-scope to see if the keypads are sending data and if you know the protocol.
    Serial sometimes requires time and patience, lacking that, get what works.

I can not guess at the protocol for your keypad, but I got a 3-pin offbrand PDA keypad on clearance for cheap.
    I do not expect any difficulty in reverse engineering it's protocol. Something unique will come out for each key.

-CC1onUVnet
    "No good deed goes unpunished."
  • quispqixquispqix Posts: 64
    edited 2006-10-15 04:19
    Okey Dokie!, I see! I was just assuming the BS2 would 'just read it' The other three keypads I can dermel and make my own etch pad contacts. Plus they have parts I can use for other uses. Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Drink Milk!
    skype me: quispqix
    echolink: 184783 KC0LGV

Post Edited (quispqix) : 10/22/2006 5:02:00 AM GMT