Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can I make SX-Ky and SX-Bltz? — Parallax Forums

can I make SX-Ky and SX-Bltz?

maxbaomaxbao Posts: 3
edited 2006-10-18 22:23 in General Discussion
I am a microcontroller's amateur.I used AT89C and PIC.
I find SX chip on web.I very interest in it.But I
don't· know sx need what assemble language.
I can make SX-Ky and SX-Bltz myself?
thinks your help.·

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-10-13 00:44
    You can look here http://www.sxlist.com/techref/ubicom/devprogs.htm
    But the sx-blitz is very reasonable for $29.95 http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45170

Are you in the U.S.A. ?

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

Don't mistake experience for intelligence. And vis-vera.
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-10-17 15:56
    Once upon a time I considered building a Fluffy II programer for the SXes.
    I can be done and there is even a printed circuit board art work that can be used.
    But in the end, you have to take an extremely long way around to do so.

First, you have to build or buy a PIC programer
    Then, you have to learn to properly program PICs on the device
    Then, you have to create a single-side printed circuit board and drill out all the holes.
    Then, you have shop and buy all the various components to populate the board
    And, then you have to assemble it.

What you have created may not work as well with Parallax's software because it was designed for Senix-Ubicom's older and more problematic SASM assembler, not the modern SX-Blitz or SX-Key.

When Parallax came out with the $29.95 SX-Blitz, it seemed to me that Fluffy II became a waste of time and money.

As it is, Parallax is the world-wide distributor for the Parallax SX and they became so by providing better technical and development support for the product. So why settle for a 2nd best?

The best buy is still the 'package deal' with the SX-Key, the Development Board, a few chips, and Guenther's text.

Of cource, if you already program expertly in PICs and have a set up for printing your own circuit boards, you just might enjoy the journey.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
    edited 2006-10-17 21:24
    Kramer's got a good point.

If you read through the forums around here, you will find that it is the customers (us) that rave the most about Parallax products and it is not because any of us are getting paid to do so, it is because they are great products! Look at the cost of things: a $10 development board and a $29 SX-Blitz. The books can be downloaded for free.

The thing I like about Parallax books is that they often have an illustration or picture so students can make the connection between a resistor symbol in a schematic and the actual physical item.

Occasionally I try to convince myself that I need to learn how to program PIC's and then after about two hours of trying to figure out what I need to buy (PIC programmer, cables, zif sockets, etc) and where to download the software (which IDE, which compiler, which language) .... I give up and go play with my SX chips! SX/B is very easy to use and quite versatile.

Parallax is working hard to make it even easier to use (Jon Williams is working on a new SX/B book, Guenther is updating his Assembler book, Bean is updating the compiler, a new C compiler is due soon). Besides, Parallax is a small enough company that if you don't like something you can growl at the senior management and they not only listen, they try their hardest to resolve the issue.

So hang in there, ask questions in this forum and most of all, join the fun!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

San Diego Miramar College
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-10-18 08:46
    John,
    Can Guenther's book now be downloaded for free?

If so, that is a terrific value.
    As I recall, you can get several other text - including the SX-Key Manual; but you will have to buy Guenther's.

Parallax has a commitment to making microcontroller education affordable, accessible, and fun. While I fool around with 8951, PICs, and AVR - the support is never as personal and one-on-one with experts is not at all available.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-10-18 13:00
    Kramer,

to my knowledge, my book can't be downloaded for free - you can download the first 39 pages of the 2nd edition (the TOC, and the first tutorial chapter). There is another download available for the first 50 pages of the 1st edition. Also available for download are all the source code examples contained in the 2nd edition (tutorial, and application samples).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G
  • John CoutureJohn Couture Posts: 370
    edited 2006-10-18 19:47
    (grin) ok, ok, ok, so ONE of the books is not free smile.gif However the first 39 pages of the second edition DOES have one of the illustrations I was talking about so do I get partial credit?

Gunther, is there a description somewhere as to what was updated in the second edition. Normally that is contained in a Preface but I didn't find one in the 39 page download.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John J. Couture

San Diego Miramar College
  • Guenther DaubachGuenther Daubach Posts: 1,321
    edited 2006-10-18 22:23
    Hi John,

no question you do get all the credits you deserve smile.gif .

Sorry, the 2nd edition was finished in such a hurry that I did not have the time to list the updates in the preface, or somewhere else. The second edition was adapted to cover the version of the SX-Key IDE that was recent when the book went to the printers, a new chapter in the Applications section was added, dealing with controlling servos, and the SX-Tech Bot, several bugs and typos were fixed (I'm sure there are still enough of these in the 2nd edition), and the layout was "pepped-up" with the valuable help of Stephanie L. at Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Greetings from Germany,

G