Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what are the PIC and SX chip different. — Parallax Forums

what are the PIC and SX chip different.

maxbaomaxbao Posts: 3
edited 2006-10-13 00:13 in General Discussion
would you tell me· what are the PIC and sx chip different.
why we use sx chip? I am a newer.
thanks

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-10-12 13:18
    PICs are made by Microchip
    SX are made by Parallax

PICs have many different types with differing hardware, require 4 cycles for 1 instruction. Run about 20MHz (5 MIPS).

SX have two base types (SX28 & SX48), require only 1 cycle for 1 instruction. Run up to 75MHz (75 MIPS).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com

Don't mistake experience for intelligence. And vis-vera.
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-12 15:27
    Hey, Bean,
    How about philosophy of design? That's really at the heart of the difference between the SX and PIC.

The PICs were originally designed as non-von Neumann microcontrollers (which means that the instruction memory is separate from the data memory and, in fact, is normally a different width ... 12 or 14 bits vs. 8 bits). As they became successful and technology improved, additional functionality was added as separate blocks like timers, UARTs, later came USB engines, etc., the instruction set was enlarged with some wider instruction paths as well (like the 18Fxxx series).

The SX had a similar non-von Neumann design, but was intended to be very fast with a deterministic design (you could guarantee that a particular program path would take a certain amount of time) and very short and deterministic interrupt latency (an interrrupt with all the processing involved would take a certain and small amount of time to process). Rather than have lots of separate function blocks and gazillions of different models with different combinations of function blocks, there would be only a few models and most of the functions would be accomplished in software in a way that several functions could be easily combined (like UARTs, etc.)
  • maxbaomaxbao Posts: 3
    edited 2006-10-13 00:13
    THANKS YOUR HELP.

I am a microcontroller's amateur.I used AT89C and PIC.
    I find SX chip on web.I very interest in it.But I
    don't know sx need what assemble language.
    I can make SX-Ky and SX-Bltz myself?