Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another fantastic link for self learning folks, Classes at MIT for FREE! — Parallax Forums

Another fantastic link for self learning folks, Classes at MIT for FREE!

metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
edited 2006-10-13 19:08 in General Discussion
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Think outside the BOX!

Comments

• MaryMc2009MaryMc2009 Posts: 6
    edited 2006-10-13 01:54
    Sweet....I'm also looking into the free online classes at Yale as well, now I can bragg that I'm a MIT and Yale educated woman....and all before finishing High School!!!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-13 03:11
    The University of Berkeley also has free on-line class notes. I'm impressed by the breadth of subjects covered with all of these. Think what this kind of information can do for someone in a little college or secondary school in the 3rd world with few resources except for internet access.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-10-13 05:52
    It is really a crime here in the united states that education is so expensive. I checked on taking an introductory 3 credit Algebra class, the book for the class is listed at $120.00 I bought it online Amazon for $4.00, who in their right mind that has any kind of education at all would pay $120.00 for this book, my god it is a requirement for almost every student that enters the college system you would think thay could have made enough money by now selling that book for such a high price.

Then I checked and it was 285 bucks per credit plus lots of fees, it would be over $1200 bucks just for that one course.

The MIT site is great, I am excited to take the exams after doing the course work, again need to switch the 24 hour days to 48 to get these things done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-13 19:08
    On the MIT site there is a link to the OpenCourseWare Consortium, where you can find other universities offering open courseware.

For MaryMc2009:

If you haven't already, you should discuss with your guidance counselor the possibility of having some kind of official mentoring & cooperation between your school and Stanford or MIT. So for instance, maybe one of (or several) teachers at your school could supervise students doing the online work, and administer some kind of tests. Then, even if you didn't get college credit, you could still get some kind of letter of recognition & recommendation from your school officials, which would help with college admissions.