Good thread index (new and improved) — Parallax Forums

Good thread index (new and improved)

Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
edited 2008-01-25 00:47 in Propeller 1
Parallax STICKIES:
Why the Propeller works...
Assembly Code Examples for the Beginner
SPIN CODE EXAMPLES FOR THE BEGINNER
HOW TO SAFELY INTERFACE A 5V SIGNAL TO THE PROPELLER?
Parallax True Type Font
Propeller and Operating System
Propeller Object Exchange - Submit Spin/ASM Objects here!
Propeller Education Kit Labs
Propeller Tricks & Traps (Last update 2 June 2006)

Programming the propeller:

Assembly, step by step
PASM Quick Reference
Calling Spin code from Assembly
Assembly confusion (indexing in asm/self modifying code)
Propeller guts download (the origional documentation)
MCP (Master Control Program) simple spin example launcher for beginners
Propeller Object: Assembly Function Engine Demo (A method for Hybrid Spin/Assembly programming)
Binary cleverness (some references for real time maths)
Using threads for assembly code in a Cog ·

Programming tools:

Propeller On-chip Debugger (POD)
GEAR: Propeller Debugging Environment
Propterminal (emulates graphics/keyboard and mouse via programming lead)

The counters:

First Application Note "Propeller Counters" is now availible for download
Counters for dummies (work in progress)
CTRMODE, FRQx and PHSx
The counters

Peripherals and interfacing:

Propeller application: DS1620 demo (VGA output), temperature sensor
Propeller Application: Inductive Sensor made easy
Propeller Application: Inductive Joystick ... a different twist on LVDT sensors.
ADC and DAC example
Propeller Object: HM55B Compass
Propeller Object: Memsic2125 Accelerometer
Propeller Object: Hitachi H48C Tri-Axis Accelerometer Module
Propeller Object: DS1307 temperature sensor
ITT/Cannon Micro trackball
LED Input device
Driving a print head
PS2 Controller
Free a cog: Single cog keyboard + mouse object
PropCAM: An image capture camera for the Propeller
Propeller Application: Proportional feedback from a Standard Hobby Servo (Updated video clip)
Propeller - Radio Control Pulse Capture and ReGen program
Driving TLC5940 - 4096-step grayscale PWM LED driver. ·
playstation controller sx helper
Easy Propeller I/O Expansion
Extended FullDuplexSerial Object

Memory:
SD/MMC
Hitt Consulting SD Data Logger Object 1.0
SPI SD card access
Secure Digital Card/FAT16/Read
Secure digital read/write code released
MMC SD card reader (with an assembly problem)
ROM:
Storing Data in Propeller Boot EEPROM
Propeller EEPROM Upgrade?
RAM:
Adding more RAM to the Propellor
USB:
Simple Propeller - Vinculum Test Program

Visual:
Video basics
VGA 1600 x 1200 Tile Driver
Propeller Application: 3D graphics demo
Video overlay using the propeller & EL1883 (Version 1.2)
Propeller Based Video Overlay (OSD) Module
TV_WTEXT: TV_TEXT with windowed regions (sort of)
Propeller VGA Demo: Text color and graphics
Closed Captioning for the Debug-Impaired
VGA Bitmap in boot EEPROM
Display 7 Segment
Seven-segment display object

Development setups:

What's your Propeller experimenter setup?
Minimum deskspace demoboard solution
Development suite for propstickUSB etc
2.5" display mods
I'd like to Introduce.....SpinStudio

CNC and Motion control

Stepper Improved ramp.
Three axis stepper positioning

Test “equipment”:

Propeller Application: Bode Plotter (Frequency vs. Magnitude)
Propeller Application: Logic Analyzer
Scope Display (Microphone to VGA)
"PropScope820"-project with driver for ADC0820-chip and small keyboard on i2c with pcf8574

Audio:

WAV sound file player
Wave File Player with RS232 console + XModem
Demo board audio examples?
Propeller gonna' hurl
(HSS) The Musical Propeller. (Hydra Sound System)

Non windows development:

Standalone, cross-platform Propeller assembler
Propeller development for non-Windows users
Propeller loader

Propeller OS:

Propellor "Operating System" (work in progress)
Propeller OS - VGA Version
Propeller OS - TV version
Propeller OS for Demo Board and Hydra

Programming languages (running on prop)

PropellerForth
PropellerForth - announcement and multitasking tutorial (192 simultaneous tasks and beyond)
Multitasking token threaded Forth
FemtoBasic for the Demo Board and TV
Update for FemtoBasic ·
"Small C" Compiler

Hardware:

Propeller QFN Land Pattern HERE!!!
A quick surface mount adapter

Propeller; dreams, conjecture and ideas:
PROPELLER SUPERCOMPUTING
What would you want more of, cogs or RAM?
ANNOUNCING: Large memory model for Propeller assembly language programs!
Protecting IP in the Prop? ·

Nice examples:
Example of the power of the Propeller
Etch n' Sketch
Hydra Logo 1.2 ready for download
Into cellular automata? Try Propeller Life!·····
Amazing Sand Physics demo uses 6 cogs to animate 10,000 grains of sand in realtime!

HYDRA games development system:
Hydra status
Hydra "Pic of the Day" Video Journal Start
Propeller's Hydra Game System Picture
HYDRA Video Demo Reel 1.0

Mathematical (but useful) stuff:

magic sinewaves
Real Random Number Generator Object
Some CORDIC documentation

Post Edited (Graham Stabler) : 6/16/2007 5:27:03 PM GMT

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-10-09 23:25
    empty

Post Edited (Graham Stabler) : 1/6/2007 10:56:41 PM GMT
    edited 2006-10-09 23:25
    empty

Post Edited (Graham Stabler) : 1/6/2007 10:57:02 PM GMT
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-10-09 23:40
    Graham, I have essentially the same thing, except my index only lists those threads in which I have an interest.· It's an Excel file.· Here is a sample:

attachment.php?attachmentid=74050

When I want to use it, I just paste the link into my browser.· Works quite well.

Sid

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Don't have VGA?

Newzed@aol.com
    ·
    750 x 266 - 8K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-10-09 23:46
    Graham,

It looks like the trailing [noparse][[/noparse]/url] is missing from the ones that didn't form links.

-Phil
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-10-10 00:02
    Graham, when you are talking about frustrations with the search engine, are you refering to the dotNetBB search utility, or http://search.parallax.com ?

The latter works wonderfully if you know how to massage it a little.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-10-10 07:07
    Paul,

I know I've complained before about this, but I've had issues with both as well. Care to share any massage techniques???

Graham,

At home, I use Firefox, at work IExploder. With firefox, I use the "links" feature, where you can have folders at the top of your browser window. One of those folders is named "Prop_links". I have, in the past month or so, orgainized this into a quick reference bookmark folder. I have noticed that I am faster to supply a pertinent link (to either myself or someone else) since I created this. It has worked much better than I thought it would. One clever feature is that links can be located in multiple places, so that critical SPI Assy thread can be in more than one subfolder! Maybe the same would do for you?

If interested, I can export it and attach it to this post...

The problem with this thread, is that it ends up like all the others, buried, and needed a permanant bookmark in you bookmarks folder...

-Parsko
    edited 2006-10-10 09:24
    Paul, with all due respect it (the search.parallax.com egine) doesn't work wonderfully, I struggle even to find posts that I made. For example, Chip's thread about making the propeller hurl, I searched for the word hurl and nothing. I have searched for "posted by" to find things and after putting in my name have had posts by others come up.

Parkso,

The url tag is there, that why I don't get it. In terms of this thread getting buried, well personally I am going to bookmark it. I made a post about starting a thread of this type before, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me would do it or that the moderators would take an interest. You can see that the FAQ section holds a lot of the stickes that currently clutter the forum, a thread like this one could be used as a central index, it doesn't take much effort to maintain it either.

I also use firefox but I use it on three PC's and don't want to have carry it around with me, it also pains me that so much useful info is being lost and that the forum front page has more stickies than threads. The search engine no matter how good does not do any filtering of relevance nor is there a "search for cool projects" function.

I'm interested in anyones exported links and or excel spreadsheets though I think the threads have to be of general interest not just hold one juicy tipbit that you are interested in.

Graham

Post Edited (Graham Stabler) : 10/10/2006 3:50:37 PM GMT
    edited 2006-10-10 09:28
    I have moved the latter links into a placeholder reply, it seems that there is a maximum number of urls allowed per post or at least it breaks
    edited 2006-10-15 22:48
    Stick a fork in me I'm done.

43 pages of posts is a lot. I hope to have got most of the good ones. Each post can only display 16 urls, I've reported this so hopefully it will get fixed and you will be able to click on all of the links.

Graham

p.s. I need to get a life [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2006-10-15 23:36
    Graham, Im not sure why you are having so much difficulty. Your example produces the result as the very first (and second) hit: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=596989·(sorry the search engine wont allow links to a search results page)

There is an art to searching, when I speak of massaging, I am refering to providing varying degrees of context to the search. For instance say you are looking for threads that talk about interfacing a servo to a Propeller, simply typing servo is going to provide a whole bunch of Stamp and other Parallax product related servo threads. So obviously you include Propeller in the search term.

Things which help narrow searches are: limiting the domain to forums.parallax.com, poster names you know participated in the thread, any·additional products used or refered to, and any specific language you remember was used. But for the most part the google search box works well, just remember that it sometimes omits searches it thinks are duplicates that really aren't, but you can see those too by clicking on the "include omitted results" link. It is a breeze compared to the old search utility. I would would be happy·to show you a particular search (that you are having difficulties with) and the steps I used to get the results. I was more or less a professional searcher in my last job (Patent Examiner), my worthiness was mostly determined by the ability to find related subject matter in technical journals and general internet searches(even when companies used different terminology). My search histories would frequently be a 100 search phrases or more where they were broken down into permutations of different terms and analogous terms. So when somone is talking about using an EEPROM I would also have to search PROM, EPROM, NVRAM, flash, FRAM, MRAM, and "non volatile memory". This isn't ususally· required but when you have multi-million dollar revenue generating IP on the line, you can't miss something. Unfortunately there isn't a quick and dirty hack that applies in all circumstances.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 10/15/2006 11:47:57 PM GMT
    edited 2006-10-15 23:55
    Doh!

I didn't realize that the forum search engine was the dotNetBB engine and assumed that search.parallax.com/ was. The dotNetBB search truly sucks, I'll stick to the google based one in future.

I suggest a link the the google one on the other search page too.

Graham
    edited 2006-10-16 01:01
    For those reading this thread, to clarify Graham's revelation: The forum search utility (the little button in the upper right that says "Search") should not be used. Instead use the Google search utility http://search.parallax.com detailed in this thread:· Improved Search Engine Available For Parallax Forums & Website. This directs searchs of the forums through a blue box housed in Parallax that runs a dedicated·Google-based search engine on Parallax's forums.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2006-12-09 10:31
    You could also use inurl:f=25 which seems to limit it to the propeller forum.
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    ... limiting the domain to forums.parallax.com ...
    as well if need be.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-12-09 12:45
    I'd like to take Graham's idea to the next level. I like the Propeller object exchange - but it needs two more columns.

Once column is a link to the DEVELOPER thread - where discussion on the next version of the object takes place - this is an area for experienced developers only.

The second column that need to be added to the Propeller Object exchange is a link to the SUPPORT thread - where the object's use is discussed. This is where a new programmer would go to find out how to use the object and talk about the use of the object.

I'd like to see a Propeller Application page added as link from the main Propeller page - currently's their only 1 project listed in Propeller customer applications.
    edited 2007-01-05 15:42
    Updated

Now 85 links but they need sorting.

Check if your favorites are on there, if not let me know them,

Graham
    edited 2007-01-06 23:00
    It should now be much easier to find things with more logical groupings
    edited 2007-03-27 20:07
    110 links and still counting.

Graham
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2007-07-02 13:52
    this link: http://search.parallax.com/ , should be added within the main forum guideline thread warning about the "junk" serch button that comes with the forum. Just a thought, as i moved to another PC and just spent the past 1/2 hr looking for this link, not to mention getting sucked into dotnetBB search h*ll for HOURS.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2007-07-04 09:32
    Hello,

this linklist is very useful but still improvable:

How about adding the date when a link was added to the list ?

without the date everybody has to check through the complete list
    or compare with older clip&paste copies

best regards

Stefan
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-09 00:05
    THE MOTHERLOAD!!!!!
    I just found this page and WOW!!!!. NO more dumb questions from me for a while. Nice job of hiding it btw. LOL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

Technologically challenged individual, Please have pity.
    edited 2008-01-09 00:06
    It's linked to in the stickies [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2008-01-09 00:10
    i know, but I just found it, sorry. So much I just overlooked it I guess.

Post Edited By Moderator (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 1/9/2008 6:40:35 AM GMT
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-11 13:06
    @Paul: I think the stickies are suffering from 'banner blindness' - many people seem to be 'blind' to differently shaded 'stuff' at or near the top of web pages. Not really much you can do about it tho@ (unless you can change the background colour on every other visit, or something like that.).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-25 00:47
    Simon,

I think it is just plain old fashioned target blindness... you open up the forum and sitting right there are any number of topics that you were just thinking about and someone else has asked just the exact question you were about to ask. So, naturally you go there and completely miss the top of the page.

AND the contributors not only answer that question, but they answer the next question before you can even formulate it... I swear, some of these guys are psychics[noparse]:)[/noparse] or really great teachers... take your pick.

What is really helpful is when someone goes to the trouble to try to keep track of it all and organize it[noparse]:)[/noparse] Sort of like whats at the top of this page... which is worth remembering... or if you haven't discovered it... stop reading this and go to the top of this page... it is fabulous.