Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 capability — Parallax Forums

BS2 capability

AImanAIman Posts: 531
edited 2006-10-10 00:48 in BASIC Stamp
Has anyone maxed out the capabilities of the BS2?
I would like to use the serin/serout to link to a computer and run the rest of the pins with sonar.

Can the BS2 Support that?

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-09 19:49
    Sure, you should be able to 'ping' 16 "PING" sensors with I/O pins 0..15, and use SERIN/SEROUT to 'talk' to a host computer on pseudo-port 16 (the programming port).

I'm not sure how much power a 'ping' sensor takes -- but since the way they work, you 'trigger' one then read a 'PULSIN' response, then go on to the next, only one is 'active' at a time. At a 'max' distance of 65 mSecs each, 16 'ping' sensors with 'nothing to see' (That's the worst case) would take 1 second per complete scan.

It might be more effective to use 2 'ping' sensors, along with a "PIR" sensor to know when to look, along with a couple of PING steerable servo-mounts. Just an idea.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-10-10 00:08
    Servo heads would work well for smaller applications, but these are going to be stationary about 5 feet apart from each other - lots of wire...
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-10 00:48
    Hmm. I'm not sure you can run a 'ping' sensor over 5 feet -- it might work, might not. Certainly, you can buy a few BS2's and run SERIN/SEROUT wires from BS2 to BS2.