Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DC motor with Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

DC motor with Basic Stamp

edited 2006-10-10 18:39 in BASIC Stamp
i want to·control 2 DC motors in a robot with BS2SX (2 PWM signals). What's the best way to realize this application. i already used the PBASIC pwm function but this did'nt worked well in my system with 2 motors. Is there a possibility to use the on-chip timer for generating·2 continious PWM-signals?·

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-10-09 09:24
    mardi_tammi -

There are a few problems with your thinking here, based on the characteristics of the PBASIC Stamp. Here they are:

First, the PBASIC Stamps are single threaded devices, and as such, can only do one-thing-at-a-time. Thus, there is no way to generate two PWM (or other) signals simultaneously. This must be done with an offboad co-processor if this is necessary.

Second there is no access to any timers or clocks on the PBASIC Stamp. Again, this feature must be provided externally, if necessary, by an off board co-processor.

Most folks who want to control multiple motors use an off board motor controller, which is a much more efficient method than burdening the main processor (the PBASIC Stamp) with such responsibilities.

Parallax offers an excellent off board motor controller for DC PM motors, in the HB-25 contoller, also the PWM Pal (via an H-Bridge), and the MotorMind B and C controllers. All can be found here for more information:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/motorcontrol/motor_control.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 10/9/2006 10:00:02 AM GMT
  • edited 2006-10-10 07:40
    thanks's a lot for this information
  • Kirk FraserKirk Fraser Posts: 364
    edited 2006-10-10 18:39
    You might also be interested in another recent thread on DC motor control. Keep scrolling down and click on the next page until you find DC.