Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA Project is Complete! — Parallax Forums

HYDRA Project is Complete!

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2006-10-07 08:33 in Propeller 1
Just wanted everyone to know that the HYDRA project is 100% complete as far as assets; the board, books, software, etc. I have reviewed the last of the edits from the book, sent in the gold master release candidate. So now, its basically just the manufacturing and packaging. Also, I have to say that I am really happy with the book, its over 800 pages of·the Hydra, Propeller programming, games, graphics, spin, and asm. The book is extremely visual with hundreds of figures, so complex things like the counters, video, hub access and so forth are all visualized to make things easier to understand.

Also, the book eventhough Hydra centric has a plethora of information about propeller programming, spin, etc., thus Parallax will make the book available for seperate purchase as well even if you don't buy the Hydra kit (which its included in). The book is basically 1 year of R&D on the propeller, so it has a lot of cool stuff, and there is nothing "left as an exercise", I wrote a demo for everything I talked about. Also, the graphics engine I wrote for the book is included, explained in detail, and more or less allows you to write any game you might want on the propeller and or update it to add features. And of course more advanced engines are included which aren't as well documented as far as "how they work", but the source is all there along with examples.

Anyway, Parallax is working hard to get the kit out asap, but now its just a matter of time, there is nothing else to do, but put the final manufacturing together and build a zillion of them.

I suspect once we have first articles from manufacrturing or at least a hard core date the units will be in the warehouse then the Hydra etc. will go up for sale on the Parallax site, but bottom line is that as long as its available for xmas or sooner is the goal.

Andre'

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-10-06 23:20
    Congratulations Andre',

Now relax a moment. Thank you for all the wonderful effort that has gone into this Propeller product.

But '800+' pages for a manual? Bet that tome is a treasure house of neat 'tricks' we can't imagine until seeing Hydra run.

Looking forward to the product availabilty.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-06 23:38
    Congratulations! I'm very much looking forward to getting a copy of the manual.
    Mike
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2006-10-07 00:24
    Well, its not a "manual", its a book, like any other game dev book I write, actually its the shortest one I have ever made, but the biggest for parallax. But, the amount of R&D and reversing to figure out the propeller without any docs on it initially was where the effort went in. Then take all that and make it fun, that's the real trick [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Pricing? I would estimate something like $39-49, normal book prices for that page count.

Andre'
  • Karl SmithKarl Smith Posts: 50
    edited 2006-10-07 01:10
    Does the book include the schematics Hydara, I'am both a software and hardware person and I like to·refer to the schematic for things that I write software, I can't wait to get one !!

PS I have an XGS and have alot fun with it, but the hydra looks like even more fun.
    edited 2006-10-07 01:23
    absolutely, every main piece of the design is laid out.

Andre'
  • The CaptainThe Captain Posts: 60
    edited 2006-10-07 03:33
    Do we have an estimated price, $250, $300, $400?? Any hints, I got 250 saved so far for this, plus I just start saving for the Propeller Electronic Kit.
    edited 2006-10-07 04:33
    I think the Hydra kit will start off in the range of $179-229, that's the goal at least. However, first runs are always more expensive, so it might be $249 at worst case I think, but I think that we have been trying to make the math work for $179-229 which is a DEAL considering what's in there, basically a whole computer system with peripherals.

So your $250 should cover it.

Andre'
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-10-07 08:33
    I'm also very much looking forwards to the book, I'm sure it will become a manual for life [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Graham