Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Recommendations for very low-res Video Input — Parallax Forums

Recommendations for very low-res Video Input

johnbotjohnbot Posts: 18
edited 2006-10-09 14:39 in BASIC Stamp
I'm looking for the most economical way to get some type of rudemantary video input into my current project which is a 6x5 incadesant lamp matrix fed by a bunch of 595 shift registers and random data from th basic stamp. I want to take video snapshos and turn it into something usable by the basic stamp and then feed that into the shift registers to produce a very low resolution simulation of what it sees. I thought the most simplistic way to accomplish this would be to use an 6x5 array of photodiodes maybe in some sort of light isolation device such as individual straws that would be read in using 74hc165 registers. Is this simply not a good way to do it or do you think it would work on some level. Any other creative suggestions would be welcome since i can't seem to locate much on video input.

Thanks.

Post Edited (johnbot) : 10/6/2006 4:21:22 AM GMT

Comments

• LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2006-10-06 04:49
    You probably should tell us a bit more about what kind of vision project you want to do. What range, lighting conditions, etc

In the mean time, here's an article in the Seattle Robotics Society Encoder by Kevin Ross:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=608493

That describes an LDR setup that's about as simple as things get. it uses 8 CsD sensors for crude binocular vision.

Recently, I've seen hacks that read the 32x32 array in optical mice, but it would be pretty hard to do anything useful with the Stamp's
    limited variable space. Take a look anyway

home.comcast.net/~maccody/robotics/mouse_hack/mouse_hack.html
    www.spritesmods.com/?art=mouseeye

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-10-06 13:13
    johnbot,
    Also remember that the shift registers you are talking about are digital devices...i.e. only respond to "on" and "off" signals. They will not be able to interpret data from a photodiode in an "analog" way if that is what you are looking for. Perhaps a more detailed explanation of what you would like this project to do would help us give more helpful responses...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • johnbotjohnbot Posts: 18
    edited 2006-10-06 15:24
    yeah I guess more data would be of use. I simply want an on-off state so i thought a photo diode would be able to do that without too much trouble. The image capture would be intended to capture people walking past the light board which is representing their movement. It does not have to be a perfect image since this is more of an art-aesthetic type and less of a purely techincal project. The location would most likely be a well lit area with the option of using a small directional light to help out the sensors.

I should also add that the frame rate will be below 4 frames per second which I think the basic stamp should be able to handle given the amount of pixels/data.

Post Edited (johnbot) : 10/6/2006 6:16:04 PM GMT
  • johnbotjohnbot Posts: 18
    edited 2006-10-09 03:52
    Any other ideas for ultra low resolution image acquisition?
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-10-09 03:59
    The CMUcam might be a good choice - more info here www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30051
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-10-09 14:39
    You might be able to get 4 fps using a Parallel In Serial Out shift register to read your diodes and then a Serial In Parallel Out to light your lamps. It shouldn't hurt to try...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...