Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR sensors — Parallax Forums

PIR sensors

exp1exp1 Posts: 22
edited 2006-10-13 06:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,

I have lately bought 10 PIR sensors after I have read the specifications and the datasheets.
I foudn them quite good on papers.

Yesterday the packet came to my home.

I have oponed it and I have tried to run the advanced Demo for basic stamp 2.

Unfortunately after waiting 60 seconds the sensor was only activated when I was actually puttting my habd in front of it. I am speaking for a few centimeters. Otherwise no activation would happen, if the distance was more than a few centimeters.

It seems that I must do someting tiotally wrong.

In addition I saw at the datasheet that the position of the jumper does not matter! So despite that the 'H' and the 'L' is being printed on the PIR's borad; that means that normally the jumper would specify if the sensor is active low or active high, the datasheet states that the position does not matter. Then what is the purpose of the jumper ?

Thank you all for any help that you could give me in order to make these sensors work properly.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-05 14:03
    Can you give us a link for the specifications and datasheets?
  • exp1exp1 Posts: 22
    edited 2006-10-05 14:08
    Sorry I thought it was very popular

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=555-28027
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-05 15:00
    Oh! You bought them from Parallax! You hadn't said that before...
    edited 2006-10-05 15:02
    Okay sorry I bought these from parallax and I bougth 11!!!

But I have trust to the Parallax products and I thing that I am making something wrong, altough I cannot see what it is.
    If somebody could help me I would be grateful.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-05 15:17
    I can't answer about the jumper. Maybe the firmware in the controller in the sensor was revised at some point and doesn't use the jumper anymore.

PIR sensors are slow since they work on thermal changes. Not only do they require a "settling" time, but they react over seconds to large changes in the infrared pattern in an area. Try aiming it into an empty room for a minute or two, then having someone walk into the room.
    edited 2006-10-05 15:21
    Thank you Mike for the answer,

this is what I have actually done, I left it for a minute and then I tried to walk.
    I tried to walk not very far from it.

But no reaction except if I was plaing my hand in front just a few centimeters away.

The idea is a simple alarm system.
    Tonight I will try to leave it for 2 minutes before I walk in front of it but I think that it will make no difference [noparse]:([/noparse] unfrotunately.

Anything else to test ?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-10-05 22:30
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Are all 11 sensors exhibiting the same symptoms you are seeing?· Is the room you’re aiming them into extremely warm?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2006-10-06 07:28
    Hello,

yesterday I have tested all the 11 sensors.
    Fortunately I have seen that the problem was located into only 1. The 1 that I am talking about. From the rest I am pretty happy with their functionality.

The problem with ppl like me from countries that we do not have god distributors (Greece for example) is that I have to buy them from other European countries. In other words I bought them around 118 euros / 11 pieces or in other words or 149 USD.

That's around twice as high as in US.
    Now I will have to pay other expenses for sending it back...

If parallax had much less tranferring costs it would be much more economic to buy the products directly from there.
    If Parallax used simple ground shipping costs could be something like 5 or 10 at most USD for tranferring a small packet around the world. A microcontroller for example.

Just some thoughts that I think many ppl have done these before but for other reasons these will never happen....
    edited 2006-10-06 08:07
    Just to give you an estimation for the Basic stamp starter kit here the distributor at Greece asked twice as high the original price.

When I say original price I mean the price from parallax.
    Of course I bought it from UK.
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2006-10-06 10:19
    exp1 said...
    Hello,

yesterday I have tested all the 11 sensors.
    Fortunately I have seen that the problem was located into only 1. The 1 that I am talking about. From the rest I am pretty happy with their functionality.

The problem with ppl like me from countries that we do not have god distributors (Greece for example) is that I have to buy them from other European countries. In other words I bought them around 118 euros / 11 pieces or in other words or 149 USD.

That's around twice as high as in US.
    Now I will have to pay other expenses for sending it back...

If parallax had much less tranferring costs it would be much more economic to buy the products directly from there.
    If Parallax used simple ground shipping costs could be something like 5 or 10 at most USD for tranferring a small packet around the world. A microcontroller for example.

Just some thoughts that I think many ppl have done these before but for other reasons these will never happen....
    Well, there are still other ways to purchase parallax items in Greece. Try the www.Hellasat.gr eshop. It has most of parallax items cheaper than ordering from other countries. I got a parallax PIR from there for 16 euro, but if you make a big order like yours it costs much less.

Thanos

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Greekbotics: Greek Robotics Forum

(Translate it using Babelfish)
    ·
    edited 2006-10-06 10:24
    Hi Thanos,

thank u for the information. I will certianly bare this in my mind.
    But again I do not think that it would cost me anything less than 12 euros per piece.

This is the price from UK including transfer cost. I think if I make the math is around there.

But in some cases yes this site might be helpful. I will bare this in my mind.
    Thank u again.
    edited 2006-10-06 10:59
    Thanos,

it seems a proffesional site.
    They accept PayPal as well!

Wow that's maybe the first Greek site that accepts PayPal [noparse]:D[/noparse]

I hope the service to be proffesional as well.

For example I had burned a Javelin chip (my fault) but he has changed the microcontroller for nothing (except the transferring costs)
    That's why I buy from there.

So there are more things to think except the price.

In Greece (or Hellas if u like) nobody would ever do something like this.
    Am I wrong Thanos ?
  • Tronic (Greece)Tronic (Greece) Posts: 130
    edited 2006-10-06 14:52
    exp1 said...
    Thanos,

it seems a proffesional site.
    They accept PayPal as well!

Wow that's maybe the first Greek site that accepts PayPal [noparse]:D[/noparse]

I hope the service to be proffesional as well.

For example I had burned a Javelin chip (my fault) but he has changed the microcontroller for nothing (except the transferring costs)
    That's why I buy from there.

So there are more things to think except the price.

In Greece (or Hellas if u like) nobody would ever do something like this.
    Am I wrong Thanos ?
    As I don't own any credit cards (I prefer not·to use them) I found www.hellasat.gr·very handy,·because you can pay for the purchased item on delivery (or in post office).

I think that you can return any defect product in order not be be your mistake... why don't ask them about it to be sure (info@hellasat.gr)
    I know from local electronics stores that returning any item is not alowed as any improper handling may cause damage but this does not apply for fully enclosed products with safety seal.

I bought from them, many parallax products, and I must say I'm satisfied with their delivery service.

Thanos.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Greekbotics: Greek Robotics Forum

(Translate it using Babelfish)
    ·
    edited 2006-10-06 14:55
    I do not disagree with you that this shop may have good service. THe only thing that I say is that how does the shop actually can prove that is your fault ?

Simply they cannot most of the times. But in order to be in the safe side they just do not change it (gr).

On the other hand the UK shops in order to be at the safe side they cahnge it. This is the difference. And of course they win the customers as well.
  • MaryMc2009MaryMc2009 Posts: 6
    edited 2006-10-13 01:34
    PIR's are more sensitive away from the lens....just a few inches in front of the PIR won't work all the time....move out a few feet. The zones need a chance to set up. If you violate one zone nothing should happen....break two and you should trigger
    edited 2006-10-13 06:52
    MaryMc2009 said...
    PIR's are more sensitive away from the lens....just a few inches in front of the PIR won't work all the time....move out a few feet. The zones need a chance to set up. If you violate one zone nothing should happen....break two and you should trigger

I have tested everything for the sensor that I am talking about. I thing it had a problem and I have returned it.

as I said all the previous (10) passed my tests successfully [noparse]:)[/noparse] except one.