Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need to increase eeprom of the homework board. — Parallax Forums

Need to increase eeprom of the homework board.

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2006-10-07 18:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I need to increase eeprom capacity of the HomeWork board.

64 Kb or more could be great.

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-04 15:56
    If what you want is to increase the size of the program you can have, it's not doable. Theoretically, you could unsolder the existing eeprom and substitute a larger one, but the Basic interpreter won't recognize the additional memory. If what you want is to store data, you can easily add external eeprom using 2 of the I/O pins and a couple of small subroutines to do the reading and writing. Check out this page and the link to sample code <http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=602-00013>.

If you're tight on program space, it's often possible to save considerable space by rewriting the program, using subroutines for common functions, moving some of the complexity into tables that drive the action of the program, etc. There have been all kinds of suggestions made in this forum over time. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 10/4/2006 4:00:27 PM GMT
  • WarrlokWarrlok Posts: 77
    edited 2006-10-07 18:06
    i,m just starting out but it looks like u could use a thumb drive with the usb,,,or is it the wrong format ???i,m shure somebody will chime in to tell me why it wont work
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-10-07 18:14
    You can attach a thumb drive with an interface device. They cost under $100. There's one from GHI Electronics called the USBwiz that takes both a thumb drive (or any of a bunch of USB devices) and an MMC/SD card in standard Windows compatible format. It's about $60 and attaches directly to 2 to 4 pins on a Stamp. You cannot use it for program space, but can store all kinds of data on it. GHI also has a slightly cheaper and slightly simpler device called a uALFAT-USB which doesn't have an MMC/SD card socket, but does talk USB. It requires a regulated 3.3V supply which isn't hard to provide and is just as easy to use.

I have a USBwiz that I'm using with a Propeller, but I've hooked it to a Stamp as well and it works fine.