Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Differential Pressure sensor for diesel engines — Parallax Forums

Differential Pressure sensor for diesel engines

Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
edited 2006-10-05 15:06 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings

I am looking at differential pressure sensors for my project. To keep it easy i am looking at or hoping for an outputs of 0 to 5 volts.·Most important the sensor needs to be as cheap as possible due to the working nature of my project. I have been looking at the motorola MPX5700AP. The sensor puts out 0 to 5 volts and the sensor will handle the range i need from 0 to 7 bar(700Kpa) the sensor is cheap and exactly what i need. What i don't know is will the sensor handle pressure from the hot engine oil?·Also·i am not finding one to do any testings with. The only·quote that i did receive was a minumum of 20 units and to be imported(several weeks lead time). It seems the sensors are not easily found in the world. Any suggestment?sad.gif···

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-03 18:03
    I guess it's now Freescale:

www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPX5700&nodeId=01126990368716

Following links from Freescale's site, it looked like you could buy singles from Newark Electronics.
  • Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
    edited 2006-10-03 18:32
    Its Freescale yes. I have emailed Newark to see if they will do the shipment for me. Note i am sitting in the dark side of the world(South Africa). What are your thoughts will the sensor handle hot oil temperatures?
  • Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
    edited 2006-10-03 19:40
    what is wrong with an automotive pressure sensor lots of them now have 0 to 5 volts output
    edited 2006-10-03 21:09
    Maybe i did not find the right automotive sensor. Remember price is of great concern here. The MPX5700 cost only +/- $17. Are automotive diffiriential sensors available at this price?
  • Larry~Larry~ Posts: 242
    edited 2006-10-04 16:52
    +- $17 sounds good! now you need an adapter to screw into the engine to hose connector then you will need hose thats good for 101 psi then a box to put the mpx into with hose clamps. Now how much does it cost! I really don't like oil running through hose maybe thats why automotive sensors screw directly into the engine. call the people below or email them with your specs they make replacement sensors for all makes and models.

http://www.smpcorp.com/about.asp
    edited 2006-10-05 15:06
    Kevin- The link you gave me to buy ones, emailed returned only in Febuary

L_Gaminde-- This unit being build will be fitted to many at a time when a lot of mandatory replacements parts gets replaced. A lot of other Parts are replaced not ment for this unit/project. About 80% of the needed items (some as mentioned by you) are already a standard replacement. Some parts will need to be changed to suite this application but those outgoing cost will be their with or without this unit being fitted. Additional cost will add on to this sensor but this will be low.
    Thanks for the link, i will be looking through the site and ask questions to see if this can work for me.