Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller application: DS1620 demo (VGA output) — Parallax Forums

Propeller application: DS1620 demo (VGA output)

Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
edited 2008-08-08 12:59 in Propeller 1
This application uses the DS1620 in hi-res temperature mode and displays the results on a VGA monitor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 10/3/2006 2:19:45 AM GMT

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-08-04 06:44
    Beau,

This is a pretty long preamble to a really simple question... if you like you can skip to the question at the bottom and give me a one word answer[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Intro: I've had the repeated experience that whatever the problem is between me and my Propeller... it is inevitably me and not my Propeller... assuming I haven't killed it.

Current History: I downloaded Jon's incredibly well structured and documented 1602 object and tried to mix it into my Public Domain-uOLED (96) project and I just couldn't get it to work... I have it hooked up OK... I mean... it is difficult to see how I could have screwed it up... it has 5 volts in, ground out, and I have to put a 1K resistor on the data i/o line and get the pin assignments for the clk and rst correct... and I've triple checked it all and I even put a .1uF capacitor in as suggested in the documentation, which is plentiful and easy to understand.

Following the theory that possibly my project had overgrown itself without throwing a warning (I know... not very likely but I was grasping at straws[noparse]:)[/noparse], I decided to simplify my life and start with your demo... strip out the VGA calls...and throw in the object for the 96 graphics. The only other thing I did was to use Jon's simple numbers object to do the decimal to string conversion so I could display returned values on my UOLED. I'll post it all ... just as soon as I get it working.

Right now, "IT" don't work at all... it compiles ok, but there is an initial call to set the hi limit to 85 degrees... and then a call to retrieve the value... it fails. (Returns a value of 0.) I checked all of the pins on the 96, they work. And I get a constant signal on the "HiLimit" and common pins of the 1602. I have tried a couple of 1602's so unless I have two bad chips from a bad batch( which you guys would know by now) I can believe that the chip is bad.

Is there some reason that your code won't work at 64MHz? (8MHz/pll8x) I looked at the possibility and don't see it.

Thanks,

Rich
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2008-08-05 03:34
    rjo_,

Should work ok at 64MHz... I'll look at the code a little closer and see. I'm out of town this week, so internet access is limited, but I will look at it and try to get back to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-08-05 14:20
    No hurry... I'm giving it a rest. Maybe I'll see it when I go over it again. I've gone over all of the stupid things I've done in the past... that rules out a lot of stupid, but it has to be on my end.
    edited 2008-08-06 00:20
    I found it.. really, really, really stupid... too stupid to share... so stupid it would win a contest for stupid.

I'm sure glad you were out of town and didn't waste any time on this...

Thanks Jesus!!!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-06 00:31
    and I thought I held the title on "really, really, stupid.." [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Perhaps we should dig out that thread on really dumb things done
    with a Propeller.. (Like my cutting of board traces why attempting to
    quickly resolve a solder bridge at 2am.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
    edited 2008-08-06 22:06
    You are not even close... I have snot coming out of my nose because I laugh so hard every time I think about just how stupid I can be[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2008-08-08 04:10
    rjo_,

Glad you found the solution to your problem, snot and all - lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-08-08 12:59
    Oldbitcollector

I think that Image Attachment· say it all

Perhaps we should dig out that thread on really dumb things done
    with a Propeller.. (Like my cutting of board traces why attempting to
    quickly resolve a solder bridge at 2am.)

By the way I like the photo that you have here My son also like this photo as well

And your not the only one that has done dumb thinking or just plan stupid thing

before

rjo_,

You are not even close... I have snot coming out of my nose because I laugh so hard every time I think about just how stupid I can be[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I like this but I NEVER heard it that way before

·When I read this I had to laugh

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 8/8/2008 1:15:05 PM GMT
    336 x 416 - 11K