Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeler Plug versus USB2SER — Parallax Forums

Propeler Plug versus USB2SER

Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
edited 2006-10-03 14:14 in Propeller 1
I just got an email from a PRC customer who wanted to know if he could use the "Propeller Plug" (Parallax p/n 32201) to program the PRC. Well I had no idea what he was talking about. Soooooo ... off to the website and there it is, essentially a Prop Clip with 4x.1 socket header instead of the clp jaws. Seemingly a clone of the USB2SER (Parallax p/n 28024). BUT ... pinouts are different on the connections. I got on the horn to Parallax Tech Support and all I could get was that the pinouts were different because of a new FTDI chip and new boards.

Now in reading what there is there seems to be no difference electrically but for the pinout. It seems that a person could wire up a simple adapter, annoying, but easily doable to interface the Prop Plug to the PRC. Is that right?

I would really like to know what else is different about the "Prop Plug" ????? What does it do that the USB2SER does not do? Why would I spend $10 more to buy it rather than the USB2SER? Is the USB2SER on its way out? Do Mark and I redo the connector alignment on the next PRC ? (their are only 17 boards left)

The Propeller Robot Controller www.wulfden.org/PRC/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
www.wulfden.org/k107/

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-10-02 21:43
    Hey Brian,

In addition to the pinout being different, the USB2SER uses the older FTDI chip known as the 232BM. This processor required a fair amount of discrete support components, and the PropPlug uses the newer FTDI 232RL. The 232RL has far less external component support, and it costs less. From our standpoint, the PropPlug provided a lower bill of materials parts count and an FTDI chip of over $1 less in cost.

You should be able to wire up an adapter without a problem.

The customer can use the same PC FTDI drivers for the USB2SER or the PropPlug (or PropClip) as FTDI made the chip backward compatible driver-wise.

Neither device will be discontinued in the near-term, and since you mention that the PropPlug is $10 more than the USB2SER I'll see about getting that price reduced so they are the same cost. Long term you will likely only see the PropPlug (and PropClip) at Parallax.

And as far as a redesign is concerned, yes, design it around the PropPlug when you get a chance.

Sorry for the hassle. FTDI doesn't have anything in the works that will cause another redesign of this part.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-10-03 14:14
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Hey Brian,

In addition to the pinout being different, the USB2SER uses the older FTDI chip known as the 232BM. This processor required a fair amount of discrete support components, and the PropPlug uses the newer FTDI 232RL. The 232RL has far less external component support, and it costs less. From our standpoint, the PropPlug provided a lower bill of materials parts count and an FTDI chip of over $1 less in cost.

You should be able to wire up an adapter without a problem.

The customer can use the same PC FTDI drivers for the USB2SER or the PropPlug (or PropClip) as FTDI made the chip backward compatible driver-wise.

Neither device will be discontinued in the near-term, and since you mention that the PropPlug is $10 more than the USB2SER I'll see about getting that price reduced so they are the same cost. Long term you will likely only see the PropPlug (and PropClip) at Parallax.

And as far as a redesign is concerned, yes, design it around the PropPlug when you get a chance.

Sorry for the hassle. FTDI doesn't have anything in the works that will cause another redesign of this part.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

This is exactly why I like delaing with Parallax ... stright, timely answers right from the top! Thanks Ken ...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/