Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING)))'s beam pattern? — Parallax Forums

PING)))'s beam pattern?

gonweigonwei Posts: 14
edited 2006-10-22 14:37 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello,

I have read through the documentation for the ultrasonic sensor PING))), but i don't understand the beam pattern diagram provided·for the tests conducted in the document.

The document i mentioned can be downloaded from·link below:
http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.3.pdf

For example, in test 1, doesn't it mean that the sensor is capable of detecting cylindrical object at max range of about 7.5' at 0 degree angle? And the maximum angle that the sensor can detect a cylindrical object is at 20 degrees, with max range of 5.5' at this angle?

Please correct me if i'm wrong. Another question is is there any way to enlarge the detection angle of the sensor? meaning widen the vision cone of the sensor.

Can someone pls enlighten me? confused.gif
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
gon

Comments

• PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-10-02 00:03
    gonwei said...

I have read through the documentation for the ultrasonic sensor PING))), but i don't understand the beam pattern diagram provided·for the tests conducted in the document.

The document i mentioned can be downloaded from·link below:
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/28015-PING-v1.3.pdf

For example, in test 1, doesn't it mean that the sensor is capable of detecting cylindrical object at max range of about 7.5' at 0 degree angle? And the maximum angle that the sensor can detect a cylindrical object is at 20 degrees, with max range of 5.5' at this angle?

Please correct me if i'm wrong. Another question is is there any way to enlarge the detection angle of the sensor? meaning widen the vision cone of the sensor.
    Gon

Detection of targets of the·dimensions, shapes, and·orientation of the target·surface·relative to the Ping))) specified for the tests are what the range/angle data show. The kind of material (and/or surface texture) might also influence the range/angle of detection.

I believe the "vision cone" of the sensor is fixed (not modifiable) by the specific mechanical structure of the sensor device. Aiming the sensor (moving its orientation) could widen the field of survey, but it would involve signalling multiple times, once for each aiming position.

PAR
  • gonweigonwei Posts: 14
    edited 2006-10-02 04:37
    Hi PAR,

Thanks for your reply =)

Just to clarify again, am I correct to say that for the case of test 1, is it true that the sensor is capable of detecting a cylindrical object at max range of about 7.5' at 0 degree angle? And the maximum angle that the sensor can detect a cylindrical object is at 20 degrees, with max range of 5.5'? What I understand here is this test was done by fixing the position and direction of the PING))) sensor, and move the object to draw out the detection range, am i right?

Thanks in advance!

gon
  • PARPAR Posts: 285
    edited 2006-10-02 23:20
    gonwei said...
    Hi PAR,

Thanks for your reply =)

Just to clarify again, am I correct to say that for the case of test 1, is it true that the sensor is capable of detecting a cylindrical object at max range of about 7.5' at 0 degree angle? And the maximum angle that the sensor can detect a cylindrical object is at 20 degrees, with max range of 5.5'? What I understand here is this test was done by fixing the position and direction of the PING))) sensor, and move the object to draw out the detection range, am i right?

Thanks in advance!

gon
    For test 1, it's true that the results cited were reported for a cylindrical object of 3.5 inches in diameter (and 4 feet long). Cylinders of different diameters·would probably lead to different results.

Your interpretation of the graph is otherwise about right. I assume that they conducted the testing generally the way you described, maybe with some repeated observations at each position, and/or maybe using different samples of the Ping))) device, and reporting averaged results?

PAR
    edited 2006-10-03 13:20
    Thanks PAR for the information. Greatly appreciate that!

Cheers,
    gon
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-10-19 13:23
    If you aren't doing this already, ping the object a few times and average the response. Typically I run 5 hits and average the response to get a more accurate location.
    edited 2006-10-22 14:37
    yep tat's a good idea, thnx for the suggestion =)