Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What is the quickest way to drive a servo with just a simple battery and no con — Parallax Forums

What is the quickest way to drive a servo with just a simple battery and no con

Brann FenixBrann Fenix Posts: 57
edited 2006-09-30 17:58 in General Discussion
Hi,

This might sound like an odd question, but I am trying to figure out what it takes to drive a servo forward at max power without using a micro controller or a computer. Something on the lines of the Scary Terry audio driver located here http://www.scary-terry.com/audioservo/audioservo.htm is what I am trying for. His circuit drives a servo when it detects sound, but what I need is even more basic than that. All I was to do is connect a servo to the correct voltage and have a push button that powers the server to max when pressed and resets the servo once the button is released. I have not worked with servo at all other than from the BOE-BOT book and if anyone could supply me with a simple circuit or give me any hints that could aid me in this task I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,
Brann

Comments

• metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2006-09-30 06:04
    Are you using a continuous rotation servo or the standard servo. Hints would be of course reading the servo related stuff in the "What is a microcontroller" once you know how many pulses and the width of the pulse you can make a 555 timer run a servo I would think if you are just going to run it in one direction. The PDF files on the robot components servo page gives example code. I would set up 3 555 timers that you could switch between to hold , rotate leaf and rotate right for the continuous rotation servo. The standard would need a different pulse width for each position around its maximum rotation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-09-30 06:47
    Brann -

An ordinary, non-micro controlled R/C servo tester _should_ give you what you need. Here is just such a project nicely layed out:
    http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200210/servoex/ServoExcerciser.htm

You may have to adapt that circuitry somewhat, to meet your specific needs, but 95% of it should be contained within.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-30 16:13
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· Although you asked for no controller, I think the most elegant solution with minimal part count would be to use a BS1-IC.· Aside of that a 556 could probably be setup to generate both pulse values at the same time and a switch used with a logic chip to select which pulse train was being sent to the servo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Brann FenixBrann Fenix Posts: 57
    edited 2006-09-30 17:58
    Thanks for the replys [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I forgot to say it was a standard servo... but thats what happens when you post late at night. You guys gave me all the info I need and more!

Thanks again,
    Brann