Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I make the kits I bought work with PDB and the BS2p40? — Parallax Forums

Can I make the kits I bought work with PDB and the BS2p40?

Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
edited 2006-09-30 01:46 in BASIC Stamp
All--

I bought the Stamp 2 Communications and Control Projects Book, What's a Microcontroller, Parts Kit and Texts, Process Control Parts and Text, and the StampWorks Experiment Kit (with the PDB). Two things have dawned on me, belatedly: The WAM text is not based on the PDB that I bought and I have no processor.

Should I go ahead and buy the "correct" development board and processor, or can I use the PDB and the BS2p40 (which I really want to play with) with what I have already purchased? Eventually, I know that I will use and learn from it all. I have just not paid enough attention to what I have been doing.

Work gets in the way.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You are what you write.

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-29 23:43
    Bill,

You can use the books with the PDB & BS2p40. In fact doing so will actually give you a deeper learning experience, since you will have to account for the differences in development environments. The biggest differences you'll find are 1) wiring differences, and 2) command parameter differences.

So when you build the circuits, you'll just have to wire them differently on the PDB than on the BoE. And for the command parameters, when the text gives values based on the standard BS2, you'll need to look up the correct value for the BS2p40.

So the end result is that you're digging a little bit deeper into the material, hence the improved learning experience.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2006-09-30 01:46
    Kevin--

As long as I have the same pinouts--only more of them and in perhaps different places, I will be ok on that score. What I was worried about is something that I lack the experience to foresee.

Thank you for the heads up on the processor-specific commands.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.