Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dumb Icon — Parallax Forums

Dumb Icon

allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
edited 2006-10-06 08:31 in Propeller 1
I've been observing the "Propeller" development with great interest.· It looks like a brilliant resource.· A couple of things bother me though.

1.· That propeller head icon is awful.· Looks cartoony.· Beany and Cecil haven't been on in a LONG time.· The Propeller is a quite capable chip and a brilliant idea.· It's a shame to imply it's a toy.· An airplane-propellor-seen-from-the-front would be a much more professional icon.

2.· Wouldn't it be much simpler (for the compiler) to use open-close curly-brackets, or BEGIN-END statements, to indicate blocks of code?· One-or-more white-spaces to delineate tokens is fine.· Using whitespace to indicate code blocks to the compiler is kind of awkward.· I believe Python does this (or Ruby?), and I don't like it there either.

·

Comments

• Harry1Harry1 Posts: 29
    edited 2006-09-29 15:34
    You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wrong

just kidding

you rock
    i so agree with you
  • El PaisaEl Paisa Posts: 375
    edited 2006-09-29 18:26
    You are wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

I am not kidding.
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2015-07-01 22:38
    allanlane5 said...
    I've been observing the "Propeller" development with great interest.· It looks like a brilliant resource.· A couple of things bother me though.

1.· That propeller head icon is awful.· Looks cartoony.· Beany and Cecil haven't been on in a LONG time.· The Propeller is a quite capable chip and a brilliant idea.· It's a shame to imply it's a toy.· An airplane-propellor-seen-from-the-front would be a much more professional icon.

2.· Wouldn't it be much simpler (for the compiler) to use open-close curly-brackets, or BEGIN-END statements, to indicate blocks of code?· One-or-more white-spaces to delineate tokens is fine.· Using whitespace to indicate code blocks to the compiler is kind of awkward.· I believe Python does this (or Ruby?), and I don't like it there either.
    Allan,

I agree the icon is a little immature, but I don't think it is that bad. I don't think it implies a toy, more implies the lack of thought on the developer. (please no flames....I said "implies")

Simpler is relative......we(being the consumer not the developer) have no idea of what is really involved with building an interpreter for a chip. (atleast I don't) It is always easier to see hindsight, rather than foresight. Much easier to gripe about what was done wrong, then to plan on what to do·right.

I personally have said," I will deal with it, because I didn't have to develope it." I won't ***** till I develope it myself.

Just my opinion,

James L·
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-09-29 20:13
    each person is allowed their own opinion though I'm not sure this thread contributes anything to the learning
    nature of these forums except maybe an open and honest discussion of the topic at hand

1. I feel the Propeller icon denotes approachability and just being something completely different from whats out there.

2. (opinion) I like the use of whitespace as block indicators, it is very much like the way paragraphs are separated on a page and indented to show the first line.

by the way, do you like to be told by the compiler that you forgot some formatter, when everything that does anything is already there and in the proper order?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-09-29 20:57
    Contrary to popular belief, alot of thought was put into the logo. A dual blade propeller was considered but was not adopted because the current logo conveys more meaning. Beanie caps have become associated with computer geeks with the propeller motion·as a metaphor for the creative mind at work. Therefore, the Propeller is·a vehicle to bring a creative thought to life.

As for the code block delimiter issue, this has been discussed repeatedly in this forum. If you want my personal thoughts on it (before I became a Parallax employee), use http://search.parallax.com to find the thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2006-09-29 21:10
    CJ really nailed it.· Especially his #1.

After considering countless names for the chip and many logos, we settled on the Propeller Beanie because, it is not intimidating and not so "serious" ... we are always trying to bring things to the market that are very approachable, usable, practical and fun.· We knew some would dislike the logo, but the effect of it being as different-from-other-logos as the Propeller chip·is different-under-the-hood is very fitting.

Regarding CJ's #2, I like his reasoning... that's something we didn't think of in quite those terms, but it felt so much more natural to make it this way for reasons like that.· I love it.· Personally, I've always disliked having to end lines with a semicolon and having the start and end blocks with { } or begin end.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Jeff Martin) : 9/29/2006 9:16:07 PM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2006-09-29 21:36
    Had it been a "serious" logo then obviously it would have been a three bladed propeller, a two blader just looks like a lolly stick [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Personally I think the logo reflects the fact that this chip is a labour of love not just the product of a bunch of suits in a meeting, it also looks really cool on the ICs themselves.

We've been through the white space stuff ad nauseam in other threads, press ctrl-i and get on with it.

Graham
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-09-29 21:54
    allanlane5,

When I first saw the Propeller web site and saw the 'propeller-beenie' I too thought it rather 'silly'. But then, after seeing it a number of times, and getting into the Propeller details, consider if it had been an IBM-type company,, where all the 'suits' had a vote on it. Hey, so its a 'geeky' logo, it sure isn't a horribly designed microX8.

Now, I like the logo. Tells me they (Parallax) can have fun, yet develop a serious IC for us to work with.

Just my $0.02....

yeah.gif
    I'd not be ashamed to have the logo on my T-shirt.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-09-29 22:53
    Allan,

Ask any orthodontist: visible braces {}{}{}{}{} are so last century!

·····bracestradinvis.jpg
    ·····20th Century················21st Century

'Same applies to programming. Indentation is the clean, new, invisible brace.

The Propeller's all about productivity and having fun, Allan. Please join us!

-Phil
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2006-09-29 23:08
    Phil,

LOL......That's great.tongue.gif

James
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2006-09-30 01:06
    Hi All;

At first the Propeller "beany" logo comes accross as a little "hoakey", and it takes a little doing to convince old-school engineers of the product's viability. Eventhough I agree with the Parallax "let's have fun" philosophy, I think a more conventional approach would have been more appropriate for those in a professional setting. That said, it will not deter me from using the chip... I'm learning to live with the minor embarrassment.

Cheers

Peter (pjv)
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2006-09-30 01:08
    I like the icon. But white spaces instead of brackets have made it a nightmare to debug SPIN programs at times.

As to what CJ said, I'd rather have the compiler tell me I didn't have the code formatted right, then jumping up and down pages of code pulling out my hair only to find out that this line of code was indented 2 spaces instead of 3.
  • Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2006-09-30 01:38
    I guess I'll put my two cents in...

Not sure what to say about the Logo. I think its cool. Never really put too much thought into it. But, as far as it making the Propeller look toyish, I think not. A friend of mine works on embeded systems for a large company that forces him to work on 8051's and 8086's all day. He has seen what the Propeller can do, and what I have done with it over the last few weeks and is totally rocked by it. I have done more with a single chip & three resistors (TV_Object) than he could ever dream of with his chips.

I've written a few thousand lines of Propeller code so far, and the white space used to control code blocks has not cause any major problems, if you have the lines showing. I have grown to like Spin. I sometimes wish VB was a bit more like it.

Lack of a true debuger... now that's another story...

Jim
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-09-30 05:55
    JT Cook said...
    I like the icon. But white spaces instead of brackets have made it a nightmare to debug SPIN programs at times.

As to what CJ said, I'd rather have the compiler tell me I didn't have the code formatted right, then jumping up and down pages of code pulling out my hair only to find out that this line of code was indented 2 spaces instead of 3.
    The only really long sections of Spin code that I've seen have been from Andre LaMothe and his games' main loops which are coded as one huge REPEAT block. I've never written code like that, myself. I've made lots of complex stuff, but I don't think any PUB/PRI has ever exceeded a screen's worth of lines, so it was always quite evident what was indented, and to what level. Remember the CTRL-I toggle in the Propeller Tool.

Regarding the Propeller logo, some people here have understood our intention perfectly. The point of the logo·is to suggest that this is something fun, fresh,·and accessible, and definitely not edgy or intimidating - that it might be useful is a pleasant discovery awaiting the adventurous. The rest of the microcontroller world takes itself very seriously as it produces formulaic and incremental products which are best compared via checklists. Boring! The Propeller is designed to enable projects which are otherwise not possible, or at least not practical.

Despite the lightheartedness·of the logo, the Propeller is seriously made to do things that other microcontrollers couldn't even contemplate. Also, an inordinate amount of effort went into assuring that it is electrically robust. We used an e-beam prober and focused ion beam machine to verify and tweak every critical aspect of its internal operation. Many fine tunings were made to its on-chip memories and clocking circuits. What this means to the customer is that he should see unwaivering, rock-solid·operation from the chip. Also, we will produce these chips for as long as 0.35um CMOS technology is available. If it goes away in 15 years, and there's still demand for this design, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that we'd put together a small fab to build it in.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Chip Gracey (Parallax)) : 9/30/2006 6:03:03 AM GMT
  • acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-09-30 06:19
    I like the beanie logo as well! Beanies make me laugh.
    The logo also reminds of a series of Calvin & Hobbes strips where Calvin orders a Beanie through a Cereal Box offer, but he's frustated because has to wait 6 weeks before he gets it in the mail.
    edited 2006-09-30 10:56
    It could be worse
    519 x 717 - 32K
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,657
    edited 2006-09-30 16:38
    Chip Gracey (Parallax) said...
    The point of the logo is to suggest that this is something fun, fresh, and accessible, and definitely not edgy or intimidating - that it might be useful is a pleasant discovery awaiting the adventurous. The rest of the microcontroller world takes itself very seriously as it produces formulaic and incremental products which are best compared via checklists. Boring! The Propeller is designed to enable projects which are otherwise not possible, or at least not practical.

It sounds like another logo, the Apple, that was also said by some to be too frivolous (not!).

I've been at conferences like "Embedded Systems" where the Parallax booth stood out like a fun-house in Kazakhstan. At many of the booths, it is daunting to figure out what on earth the touted product does, or why one should care. At the Parallax display, you see the products doing many things worthy of 5 beanies, readily accessible. I'm wondering what the response will be when they take Propeller to those shows.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com

Post Edited (Tracy Allen) : 9/30/2006 5:23:02 PM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-09-30 16:50
    I think the logo ROCKS!

It shows that Parallax doesn't take themselves too seriously, at least compared to some companies...

And even more importantly, it's as if the gang at Parallax is pointing at the rest of the industry and saying 'Nyah!' and laughing... smile.gif

After all, the most anyone else can show for themselves is a few bits of silicon art that can only be seen with a good microscope...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-10-01 07:51
    I think the logo shortchanges the chip, from a business analysis perspective.

Sure, it can convey the concept of something new and refreshing, but what conveys the seriousness that went into creating the chip? While some engineer may understand the benefits of the platform, what happens when the stodgy CEO and CFO see the beanie, snort, and then fire the engineer for suggesting it?

Not that anybody would really get fired, but as far as the perception is concerned, I think that a marketing survey with some different logos would produce interesting results.
    edited 2006-10-01 13:19
    I think the engineers job would be safe when he shows them the graphical front end he made in an afternoon [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Graham
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-10-01 14:36
    Kevin Wood said...
    I think the logo shortchanges the chip, from a business analysis perspective.

Sure, it can convey the concept of something new and refreshing, but what conveys the seriousness that went into creating the chip? While some engineer may understand the benefits of the platform, what happens when the stodgy CEO and CFO see the beanie, snort, and then fire the engineer for suggesting it?

Not that anybody would really get fired, but as far as the perception is concerned, I think that a marketing survey with some different logos would produce interesting results.

Personally, if I was working for a dude like this, and was fired for a reason like this, I'd feel happy and lucky that I no longer worked for someone that superficial and ignorant. Sometimes good fortune comes in back packages!

-Parsko
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-10-01 18:57
    Kevin Wood said...

Sure, it can convey the concept of something new and refreshing, but what conveys the seriousness that went into creating the chip?
    The spec sheet, any project manager isn't going to care what a logo is, they are going to ask what is it's price to performance ratio. If it meets thier needs, they will use it.

You may say "where's the spec sheet", the answer is we are working on it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-10-03 13:35
    Thanks for all your feedback. The nice thing about a logo is that it can be easy to change. And I was curious about people's experience with the "white space IS significant for showing code blocks" -- apparently it works well enough.

Sorry to have dredged up old issues and old arguments, but I do appreciate the education. As always, Parallax rocks!
  • Capn_DaveCapn_Dave Posts: 20
    edited 2006-10-06 02:06
    The indenting as begin/end formatting is actually much better than {} (from C) or begin/end (from pascal).
    It forces you to properly indent· your program making it readable. You can do <CTRL> I to turn on the indenture lines making it easier to see. Keeping methods small enough to view on one page is a great idea as it keeps the method to 1 easily understood process, again making your code easier to understand.
    Ive' been designing hardware for 30 years and this is by far the greatest development since the 8085 (Intel).
    Since getting my first Propeller 2 months ago, Ive designed an I/O card system for my employer that uses 5 boards, each with a propeller. The power I have with 40 cogs running at 80MHz is phemoninal. yeah.gif
    As far as the beanie logo, I think its an indication that using the Propeller can be fun. I even got a Smiley Propeller shirt from Smiley central. Its a hoot.

Paralllax, Keep up the great work. I saw that the price dropped to $12.95 today, another great step.

P.S. I bet the folks at MicroChip are having·a cow. devil.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Caught in the PropWash
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2006-10-06 08:31
    I'm a professional graphic artist, concentrating on identity and media solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. We focus on clients who run their own shops, who have vision and a commitment to that vision. In short, clients not unlike Parallax (though perhaps not as sizeable).

The instant I saw the Propeller logo I thought it was *fantastic* -- it's clean, has great balance, great colors, has an absolute presence. It has a very precise geometry but is fun and accessible -- like the Propeller itself is meant to be. It also gives a nod to the old-school geek tinkerer, circa TRS-80, which seems to be Chip Gracey's background (from what I've read anyway). It stands out in a noisy media landscape of techno, futuristic, textured and chromed graphics.

You could animate it. It looks good big, small, in black-and-white, in color. You could make actual Propeller hats. Versatility and ease of translation into other media/formats are the marks of a strong identity graphic. Even if you didn't print the words "Propeller" or "Parallax" you would still recognize it from a block away.

In short, props out to the design team. It's way cool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST