Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting two BS2 via internet — Parallax Forums

Connecting two BS2 via internet

basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
edited 2006-09-30 07:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hello.
Is this possible?· I want to have one BS2 in one location (say Michigan) and another BS2 in another location (say Ohio).· I want one BS2 to communicate to other BS2 and share each other's data.· Also, one BS2 needs to tell other BS2 to turn on certain loads.

How do I do this?· Get 2 PINKs and connect BS2 to PINK?

Is there an example (Nuts & Volts) that shows the basics of how to do something like this?

Thanks much.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-09-29 15:32
    Hello,
    ·
    ·· There is no specific example of doing what you’re asking, however it would be possible to send UDP messages between the two modules over the internet.· You could send your information that way.· I would employ some sort of checksum/verification scheme since there is otherwise no way to know if the recipient actually received the data or if it was intact (not corrupted).· I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-09-30 00:02
    You could also consider using a pc program to handle the interfacing for you:

BS2 <--> Serial Port <--> PC Program <
    Internet
    > PC Program <--> Serial Port <--> BS2

I think you can do this with StampPlot Pro, and the pricing is very reasonable. You can also do realtime visual display of your info, which is really cool.
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2006-09-30 02:07
    I think Chris Savage (Parallax)'s idea would be the best. One would have have to set up a PINK to send a UDP message to the other PINK which would then be relayed to the 2nd PINK's stamp. As he said one would need to set up a checksum system to validate data sent arose.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2006-09-30 07:22
    A product I really enjoy is the iPocket232, it's a RS-232 to TCP connector that can simply plug into the programming port for transparent pass through of data, and a lot of other great features. You can connect a stamp to one each on the serial port and pass data directly between them in tunneling mode as if they were directly connected.

http://www.precidia.com/products/ipocket_232.html

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Martin Hebel
    Personal Links with plenty of BASIC Stamp info
    StampPlot - Graphical Data Acquisition and Control
    AppBee - XBee ZigBee / IEEE 802.15.4 Adapters & Devices