Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS Module Woes — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS Module Woes

brsbrs Posts: 33
edited 2006-09-27 18:51 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

Has anyone had difficulty acquiring a valid gps signal using the Parallax GPS Module, i.e. get the red led to stop blinking and remain constant?

My current setup simply uses a Board of Education (BOE) Rev C, GPS Module, and the sample code provided by parallax's website. The module is currently sitting on the second story porch of our house with a clear view of the sky. After waiting four hours, a quick call home to my wife confirms that the unit has yet to acquire a signal, i.e. red light still blinking. The degug terminal also lists "No" for "Valid Signal".

I just wanted to pulse the user community to see if others are having similar difficulties, or if my clear view of the sky isn't as clear as other clear skies!

Regards,
Bryce

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-09-26 18:32
    What stamp are you using?·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • brsbrs Posts: 33
    edited 2006-09-26 18:48
    Bs2-ic
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-09-26 20:11
    I suggest double checking your wiring regarding the I/O pin, make sure that it matches the code that you are using.· If the red blinking light goes solid, that normally indicates that the GPS module has locked on to the satellites.· If you are certain that everything is connected properly and that the code matches your connections and it still fails, please contact our tech support at support@parallax.com and we will·take care of this issue.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • brsbrs Posts: 33
    edited 2006-09-27 12:31
    So I was able to get my Parallax GPS module working. The problem was due to directly inserting the module into the Board of Education breadboard, I think. Perhaps too much electrical interference or something.

At first I thought it was due to the proximity to the laptop. I started with a two foot serial cable connected to the laptop serial port and Board of Education (BOE). This setup resulted in no valid signal from the GPS module. Then I happened to find a four foot serial cable and tried it with no success.

Finally, I hooked up three, two foot long lead wires to the GND, VCC, and SIO pins of the GPS module and connected them to the VSS, VDD, and P15 sockets of the BOE; instead of directly placing the module on the BOE breadboard. This setup worked like a charm. The GPS module was able to acquire a valid signal from 5 satellites in approximately 30 seconds.

Am I the only moron having difficulty testing this device?
  • Fe2o3FishFe2o3Fish Posts: 170
    edited 2006-09-27 18:51
    >Am I the only moron having difficulty testing this device?

Might be 'cause this moron had no problems. :-D

I put my BoE board at the other end of a 6-ft serial cable from my laptop,
    plugged the GPS directly into the breadboard, and placed it all in a south-
    facing window. Before too long (sorry, didn't time it) I had 3 sats and now
    it's tracking 6 sats but was tracking 7 for a bit. S'pose I need to pull out
    the Garmin and see what the satellite geometry (where the sats are in the
    sky) is looking like right now.

Another thing that might be considered is what type of power supply
    you're using. A 9-v battery? Dunno how long it can supply the current
    that the GPS needs plus that for the Stamp. I'd prefer to use something
    "beefy-er" like a wall-wart.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Rusty-
    --
    Rusty Haddock = KD4WLZ = rusty@fe2o3.lonestar.org
    **Out yonder in the Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area**
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking